Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Importing Illustrator layers into After Effects

• Importing Illustrator layers into After Effects

• Sasanka Srinivas

June 20, 2021 at 1:41 pm

How do you import multiple (but not all) layers in an Illustrator file into After Effects. I know you can import all of them (by composition) or one of them (by footage, and then selecting layer), but what if two or three have changed and you want to import them?

This seems like an obvious feature so please let me know if I’m missing something obvious! Thanks to any replies.

• Terry Coolidge

June 20, 2021 at 3:21 pm

If layers that have already been imported have “changed” in the Illustrator file, as long as those changes have been saved in the AI file, you simply need to reload the footage in AE. No need to import again.

• Sasanka Srinivas

June 20, 2021 at 3:24 pm

True, but what if you’ve added an additional 2/3 layers in the original AI file.

• Eric Santiago

June 21, 2021 at 2:36 am

Just like anything else you would need to re-import and update the layers within AE.

I use the flowchart for replacing layers.

• Sasanka Srinivas

June 21, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Yes, but how would you import two or three specific layers in an Illustrator file (without importing all the layers as a composition). Have you ever managed to do this? Thanks.

• Eric Santiago

June 21, 2021 at 6:52 pm

I create versions.

No harm in opening the file, do your edits then save it as a new file.

Re-import and make sure to give it a name that makes sense.

• Walter Soyka

June 21, 2021 at 8:44 pm

If you import an Illustrator file as footage instead of a composition, you can choose either Merged Layers or a specific layer from the file.

Alternately, import it as a composition anyway, cut and paste the layers you need from there and drop them in your main comp, then delete the imported comp.

• Walter Soyka

June 21, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Or, better yet, check out Overlord. It’s my favorite way to work from Illustrator into After Effects, by far:

https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord

• Sasanka Srinivas

June 21, 2021 at 9:54 pm

That looks pretty sick, I’ll have to check that out.

• Sasanka Srinivas

June 21, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy