Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › How upgrade from 10.8.5 to 10.10 or 10.11 mid project?

  • How upgrade from 10.8.5 to 10.10 or 10.11 mid project?

    Posted by Dan Mcguire on August 22, 2017 at 2:25 pm

    I’ve got a FCP7 project on my 10.8.5 system.
    I need to re-batch digitize using a teranex, which requires 10.10

    Is it too dangerous to switch systems at this point? I don’t even have the last version of FCP7 on DVD if the program stops working. I have old program discs that had multiple upgrades from Apple afterwards.

    Suggestions?

    John Rofrano replied 9 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Warren Eig

    August 22, 2017 at 4:27 pm

    Go get another drive. Clone the current drive to the new drive. Update the new drive so you can go back. This is now a dual boot system. ☺

    All is good!

    Warren Eig
    O 310-470-0905

    email: info@babyboompictures.com
    website: https://www.BabyBoomPictures.com

    For Camera Accessories – Monitors and Batteries
    website: https://www.EigRig.com

  • Shane Ross

    August 22, 2017 at 4:57 pm

    How can a Terranex require an OS version? It’s an in-between box, is it not? Or does the newest one now connect to the computer like a capture card?

    And yes…you are WELL advised to get a new drive or partition with the newer OS. Newer OS versions and older software don’t always mesh well.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Dan Mcguire

    August 22, 2017 at 6:53 pm

    I’m working on an imac. Would the new cloned drive need to be internal? Or could I boot up from a 10.10 system drive that is external, and work in FCP7 from it?

  • John Rofrano

    August 29, 2017 at 12:35 am

    [Dan McGuire] “Would the new cloned drive need to be internal? Or could I boot up from a 10.10 system drive that is external, and work in FCP7 from it?”

    The drive can be external. I would use a USB 3.0 drive. Try and find one that is 7200 RPM instead of 5400 RPM for a little additional performance.

    What you do is hold the Option key when you hear the boot chime and keep it held down until you are greeted with a screen that shows all connected drives. Then just select the external drive and your iMac will boot from it. Not sure how well FCP 7 will work with 10.10 but that’s why you need to keep 10.8.5 around.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasstsoftware.com

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy