Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro How Much Disk Speed for 9 streams of 4k60p on Premiere?

• How Much Disk Speed for 9 streams of 4k60p on Premiere?

• Sam Frazier, Jr.

May 28, 2022 at 6:26 am

I’m confused about where bottlenecks really originate and how to tell, but I know I need something that works better than my last edit–even using proxies. I produce and edit an unscripted web series that shoots around 9 cameras in varying formats (everything from DSLRs to Pansonic EVA1s, to GoPros to drones, etc) and resolutions, but we’ll probably try to consolidate to interviews in either 4k24 or 4k30 and live-action (it is a sports event of sorts) in 4k60.

I always figured the logjam was the processor or GPU of my 2017 iMac, but as I’m about to upgrade my storage, I wanted to be sure. Trying to decide b/t things like an OWC ThunderBay 4 w HDs (around 600 MB/s) vs a SATA III raid (800-1500 MB/s depending on 2 vs 4 drive raid) vs an external NMVE option (closer to 2000-2800 MB/s).

Thanks ahead of time for any help!!

• Tero Ahlfors

May 29, 2022 at 8:41 am

As you have a bunch of compressed formats you’ll need faster processing and you probably aren’t bottlenecked by the storage speed. I would probably transcode everything to Prores before editing.

• Sam Frazier, Jr.

May 31, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Good suggestion. I tend to do that, but it takes up a lot of time and disk space. It definitely plays back better though. The problem is, it also seems to degrade the quality of the GoPro and drone footage.

I’m still curious though when the bottleneck is the disk speed. For all my years of editing, I’ve always assumed it was the CPU or GPU. But, I don’t really know how to tell when the culprit is elsewhere.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy