Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Horrible banding when rendering back to 4:22 10-bit compressed Blackmagic codec

• Horrible banding when rendering back to 4:22 10-bit compressed Blackmagic codec

• Michael Buday

February 15, 2007 at 7:32 pm

I’m working on one hour’s worth of cinematics for an upcoming game that was shot entirely bluescreen (Digibeta aquisition–>Blackmagic 10 bit SDI ingest to FCP). The material imported into FCP looks great, as it does when composited in Shake with all the CGI material, HOWEVER – when I render BACK to the same uncompressed Blackmagic codec, everything falls apart in terms of bit-depth. All the gradients in any blurs or defocus nodes look terrible with significant banding.

If I render out to Apple Animation or Blackmagic 10-bit RGB, everything looks great, but I don’t know if I can edit in FCP using either of these formats, plus – I ultimately have to get back to a format the game engine guys can use when all is completed – which is an uncompressed AVI file.

Anyone else seen this terrible performance when rendering out to Blackmagic 10-bit uncompressed NTSC? Any work arounds?

I need HELP real fast as my delivery date is FAST approaching.

Many thanks,

Michael Buday

• Jeremy Garchow

February 15, 2007 at 8:44 pm

What about the Apple 10 bit codec and not the Blackmagic 10 bit codec? You can most definitely edit with the apple 10 bit codec.

Jeremy

• Michael Buday

February 16, 2007 at 6:19 am

On my system, both codecs seem to be the same unless I’m missing something. I haven’t seen a codec listed that says “Apple uncompressed 10-bit 4:22”.

Should I see one listed?

Thanks.

Michael

• Jeremy Garchow

February 16, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Do you have the Blackmagic codecs installed or are you just using a blackmagic capture card? The blackmagic codecs should be labeled as such. The Apple is labeled as Uncompressed 10 bit 422. The subject makes it seem like you are using the blackmagic codecs which are a separate download and install.

Jeremy

• Michael Buday

February 16, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Hi Jeremy,

You’re right, I’m actually using the Apple Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 codec which is the one causing the banding issues. If I render out to the Blackmagic RGB codec, everything looks great – but I wanted to stay in the 4:2:2 codec since all the source media is already in that format, and I can maintain realtime performance if I keep everything the same.

It appears to me that there is a problem with the Apple uncompressed codec, but I can’t be sure. I’ve tried the same exercise on both my PowerPC G5 and my MacPro and get the same results. Someone recommended on the Blackmagic forum uninstalling the Blackmagic codecs because they sometimes have a negative effect on the Apple codecs, but this didn’t work.

Any help would be apreciated!

Michael

• Jeremy Garchow

February 16, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Okay, now that we have that settled..have you turned Shake to 16 bit and then rendered? Perhaps Shake is processing @ 8 Bit.

• Michael Buday

February 17, 2007 at 6:45 am

The fact that I can render to the RGB codec without any issues leads me to believe that Shake is rendering higher then 8-bits, but in any event – using the BYTE node in Shake to work at 16-bits or in FLOAT doesn’t change the look of the rendered output to the 4:2:2 codec. So – I’m stumped!

Michael

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy