HDV To Blu Ray Without Transcoding
So I have 20 hours of HDV tapes I want to put onto Blu Ray discs (10).
I do not want to edit the footage, I do want menus, but I do NOT want to transcode the footage (my HDV is 1080i60 which at 25 megabit MPEG-2 is Blu Ray compliant).
Here is what I did:
1. Capture HDV tapes in Premiere Pro
2. Batch demux the capture files in MPEG Streamclip back to separate m2v and AIFF files
3. Open Encore, import my demuxed clips, set the transcode properties to match my HDV footage (1080×1440 60i 25 megabit MPEG-2)
4. The audio will want to transcode (for some reason) but NOT THE VIDEO – hooray!
5. Build/burn my project to Blu Ray
It worked. I am posting this here because it took me hours of trying different methods to get this to work. I am very much a Final Cut Pro guy, and for some reason, I COULD NOT find a way to demux the HDV FCP capture clips.
If anyone knows a way to do that, please let me know.
Also, the next step, if I want to do some basic editing to the timeline in Premiere, will I HAVE to transcode/re-encode the HDV footage to export into Encore?
Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!