Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro GTX1060 6GB for Premiere Pro 4K R3D and Prores422HQ – Outdated?

• GTX1060 6GB for Premiere Pro 4K R3D and Prores422HQ – Outdated?

• Will Kee

January 12, 2021 at 11:22 am

Hi I’m curious to know if people think this GPU is outdated for workflows with 4k R3D and Prores? Or if it’s a bottleneck in my system. I’m a professional editor and was curious to know where this GPU sits. Currently editing on Premiere 2020 with Nvidia drivers set to studio. I appreciate it’s subjective but I’m happy to listen to peoples opinions on this.

Current specs:
    9900K 8 Core
    SSD’s
    32GB RAM

• Christopher Hill

January 12, 2021 at 11:58 am

I think the reason it’s subjective is because everyone edits differently and it would entirely depend on your editing methods and practices as to whether or not it’s a bottleneck for you and your process.

Are you editing uncompressed R3D and ProRes 4444XQ? Then absolutely it’s going to be a bottleneck, as would almost any current setup.

Are you editing your uncompressed footage as low-bitrate proxies? Then no, you’ll probably be fine for a few more years to come with that workflow.

Do your edits contain a lot of motion graphics? Fancy transitions? Heavy color correcting? etc. etc. etc. then again, it might be a bottleneck but if you’re editing documentary style with maybe a lower third every now and then, it’s probably not an issue.

So it really all comes down to your workflow. Are you happy with how you’re editing? Does it feel slow to you? Have you tried changing up your workflow to include proxies or altered your graphics usage? Do you even want to? These are all questions you should be asking yourself before you push to upgrade your graphics card.

Something else to keep in mind is your storage medium. In my experience, your storage will become a bigger bottleneck long before your graphics card does. Are you editing from older spinning disks? 2.5″ SSD? or PCIE4 NvME drives? Are they local to your system or over the network?

Sorry for rambling. Just some food for thought.

• Merlin Vandenbossche

January 14, 2021 at 12:34 am

Premiere Pro generally uses GPU’s for a (limited) number of things:

– Real-time playback of GPU accelerated effects (all effects with the play arrow symbol)

– Acceleration of Lumetri Color adjustments (which is a GPU accelerated effect)

– Acceleration of resizes (motion tab)

– Debayering R3D source footage / better playback for RAW video formats

– (New) Decoding and encoding H.264/HEVC (smoother playback / faster export)

– Video output through Mercury Transmit to a full screen monitor

Getting a newer GPU will improve smoothness with any of the above things. So you might be able to bump up the playback resolution when playing your R3D footage. You can add more effects without breaking real time playback, lumetri wheels and such will respond smoother and you will export H.264 faster. If you are noticing any trouble with any of these tasks now, it could be worth updating. One way to test is to look at your GPU usage while working (in windows task manager). See if it fills up or bogs you down in any way.

I’ve always found the GTX 1060 to be sort of the old ‘baseline’ GPU for Premiere. It is what enables the first sort of smooth experience without breaking the bank. Today I would consider the RTX 2060 the new baseline (soon to be replaced by RTX 3060 if they are available). It means that buying anything more expensive is more of a luxury thing or to fill specific needs (like for those doing many effects or RED footage or those using other apps like Resolve). Usually the much more expensive RTX 2080 ti or RTX 3090 are overkill though for PPRO and the law of diminishing returns really kicks in. The marginal increase in performance really is not worth the extra cost for those, compared to the ‘regular’ RTX 2080 / RTX 3080.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=64708

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=64709

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=64710

The guys over at Puget Systems have great benchmarks for all PC components in different creative apps. The older 1060 is not on this list anymore, but let’s say it scores around 20 percent or so lower than the 1080 Ti. As you can see, an update to RTX 2060 could already yield great result, perhaps even no need to go beyond that.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy