Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Panasonic Cameras gh5 vlog to rec 709 lut test

• gh5 vlog to rec 709 lut test

Duke Sweden updated 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 58 Posts
  • Chris Wright

September 7, 2017 at 1:26 pm

hi everyone!

I was doing a gh5 vlog to rec709 test lut I made from photoshop ACR camera mode and iwltap lut creator.
    It keeps skins tones on skin tone line while making a unique carribean look at the same time. it is designed for vlog that is exposed for highlights.
    it also normalizes primaries better than saturation by offsetting camera sensor data. anyone want to test and provide feedback?
    it really pops off my screen.

carribean gh5 vlog to rec709 lut 64 cube
    https://f1.creativecow.net/11659/gh5-vlog-to-rec709-carribean-test-1?uploaded=file

• Duke Sweden

September 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I’ll give it a go. Getting absolute crap out of my V Log video so far. It’s not the camera, it’s me. I suck. So if I get good results you can consider your LUT a resounding success.

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

• Duke Sweden

September 7, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Well, I tried it on 3 different clips and it turns everything orange. Even if I turn the temp all the way to max blue the skin tones are still orangey. Man, I really do suck at this and getting worse.

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit

• Chris Wright

September 7, 2017 at 9:58 pm

hey Duke,

what’s up. Does your stuff look ok using the official gh5 luts? how about manually grading from vlog, any luck there?
    my stuff is for really, really flat vlog settings, no grading before applying either.

• Duke Sweden

September 7, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Manually grading, which I try to do a lot now since 422 10 bit doesn’t play smoothly once I add junk like FilmConvert, is ok but I still don’t get what I see other people getting. Before I got the GH5 I played with those Neumann clips. All I had to do was bring the blacks down to 0 and the whites between 90 and 100 and I got spectacular results. When I do it to my own clips it looks like crap. Crushed blacks and I can’t go any higher than 80 or my whites clip.

I’ll put up a video later tonight that will be half graded (on top) and half ungraded v log (on the bottom) so you can see for yourself. I might be too hard on myself but I doubt it. I’ll post it here when it’s up.

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit

• Duke Sweden

September 8, 2017 at 2:37 am

Here’s the clip. It’s short. First time around is ungraded V Log, second clip is with the official V Log LUT added, third time around is with your LUT. Notice the heavy tilt towards orange. Both LUT’s are untweaked, just slapped on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE05T5_rBqs&feature=youtu.be

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

• Chris Wright

September 8, 2017 at 11:48 am

yea, i see what you mean. It looks too saturated for your particular footage. you can change the lut’s saturation, black, white, highlight shadow inside lumetri. what was your iso? crazy that it looks so freakin good on 22 other clips, but on yours it looks like a vlogger’s grade, haha! anyways, thanks for your time!

• Duke Sweden

September 8, 2017 at 4:33 pm

ISO 800. And as I said before, even if I slide the temp to max. blue it still maintains a lot of orange.

I told you why. I suck.

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit

• Chris Wright

September 9, 2017 at 4:25 am

thanks for your input. I went over your footage again and realized that it was so delicate, I had to start from scratch. I ended up actually reverse engineering the panasonic lut!

I have attached the xmp files made in ACR in photoshop as well as the 64 cube luts. Now you can edit panasonic’s offical lut(kinda) I fixed its incorrect skin tone(magenta?) and highlight rolloff(crushed)

i deconflicted your camera’s sensor with a new carrabean designed for it. you can add the saturation amount in lumetri

https://f1.creativecow.net/11662/gh5-standard-vlog-to-rec-709-and-carrabean-luts-with-assoc-xmp?uploaded=file

• Duke Sweden

September 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Well, as I always say, never argue with a man who can deconflict your camera’s sensor ????

I’ll give it a shot and report back. I will apply it to that previous clip and some outdoor clips I shot earlier that day.

EDIT: Wait I just noticed all those files in the zip. Am I supposed to try all three cube files to see which works best or add all 3 through adjustment layers?

Dell XPS 8920
    Intel i7 core 7700 build
    GeForce GTX 1050ti
    32 Gigs of RAM
    3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
    Windows 10 64-bit

Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy