Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe Premiere Pro › Getting rid of black bars on sides of screen in 4:3

  • Getting rid of black bars on sides of screen in 4:3

    Posted by Ken John on July 9, 2008 at 12:44 am

    Hi, I shot my film in 4:3, and when I am editing it, there are black bars on the left and right of the screen, yet when I export my film, they are gone. I am trying to have a letterbox look, and when I add the letterbox matte, the black bars on the side are still present, so it looks like my film is a cube in the middle after I export it.

    Is there a way to get rid of the black bars on the side and just keep the ones on the top? Also, is there a way to see it before I export it, so that when I edit it, it looks like the real deal?
    It’s strange, I’ve never had this problem before with Premiere pro 7.

    Harm Millaard replied 18 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ken John

    July 9, 2008 at 4:40 am

    I figured it out. You go to interpret footage for each imported clip, and change the pixels to “widescreen dv/ntsc?, and it makes it look like a normal widescreen with the leterbox matte.

    In the future, when I film in 4:3, I have to edit in 4:3, cause if you edit in widescreen with 4:3 footage, the stupid black bars happen.

    Does anyone know if any quality will be lost? I really hope not.

  • Harm Millaard

    July 9, 2008 at 7:05 am

    Anorexia patients will get a fit, they look so fat!

    Harm Millaard

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy