First time hiring an actor in the UK
I’m a bit stuck with a video problem, and after wasting some time on google I thought I’d get on better here as I imagine a lot of you have done it all before. I’m a full time video editor producing product videos for a manufacturing company, and generally I’ve leaned on in-company talent to get some faces in my videos. However, I’ve now been handed a brief for a series of product videos aimed at the American market and one of the recommendations is to hire an American actor to fulfill the role.
I haven’t hired a professional actor myself before and the more time I spend on google, the more I’ve realised it’s not something you pick up from a blog post or two. I’d seriously value any general advice on this direction, or if there are any really useful stuff online, feel free to point me to it.
To kick off, I do have a few questions:
– Is there a preferred website(s) to post a job onto find talent for UK productions? I looked at https://breakdownservices.com/ but this caters for America only.
– I also found http://americanactorsuk.com/ but I can’t find what I’m looking for here and I don’t know if this is a recommended site?
– I also don’t know if these websites are the right fit for me? I’d like to find a relatively local actor, and I don’t need the experience (or cost) of a seasoned actor, I’d prefer to work with someone junior initially.
– I’ve also searched through freelancer websites such as Upwork, Twine, and PeoplePerHour. I know I won’t find professional hollywood actors here, but I’m not looking for that. The actors on these sites are a junior level and closer to what I’m looking for, but there is still very few options and none that suit my criteria.
– And does anyone have any idea what kind of cost I’m going to be hit with? I need to build a rough budget at least, and so far my research says a qualified actor with experience is upwards of £400/day, a decent actor that’s new to the game could easily by £200-300 a day, and a cheap / junior actor is closer to £100/200 a day. Are those ballparks realistic?
– I notice a lot of American professional (hollywood) actor websites talk a lot about Union and non-Union jobs. Does that apply to the UK too, or how do things work over here?
– Also I have no idea about any paperwork / contractual / admin requirements, and not sure where to find out from!
I’ve posted a job on a couple of freelancer sites but I haven’t had any response, so I’d really value any and all advice on this – it’s a brand new challenge for me but I’m not sure where to start! 😁