Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Films: “A Friendly Game” and “009”

• Films: “A Friendly Game” and “009”

Carl Kadie updated 12 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Posts
  • Carl Kadie

May 28, 2008 at 4:02 am

Greetings,

I thought folks here might enjoy seeing two movie my son, Ben Kadie, created with Vegas 8 Pro. (He was 12 when he made these. He just turned 13):

* “A Friendly Game” – What happens when two brothers escalate a one-point tennis match beyond “a friendly game?”.
    https://benkadie.com/movies/AFriendlyGame/

* “009” – Secret Agent 009, Pewee Bon, pits his cool cunning and clever gadgets against the forces of evil villain Dr. Mort to recover the Incredibly Easy To Steal Diamond. Humor and special effects (live action, animation, CGI) create microcinema of epic proportions.
    https://www.slugco.com/movies/009/

Vegas, with it’s combination of productivity and power, has been critical for him to realize his filmmaking ambitions.

– Carl

• Ron Shook

June 2, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Carl,

[Carl Kadie] “Vegas, with it’s combination of productivity and power, has been critical for him to realize his filmmaking ambitions.”

Commend Ben for me. He and his friend sometimes exhibit a remarkably mature ironic comic sensibility.

He’s got a great software tool to work with. Encourage him to further develop his intellectual tools to go along with his creativity.

My suggestion for that development would be the best 20 bucks you ever spent. Get him “The Grammar of the Film Language” by Daniel Arijon. It is just as the title suggests, the best and most detailed exposition of classic narrative filmic production techniques that I’ve ever seen. It’ll be quite a slog for a 13 year old, but as he starts to understand that film/TV like writing or speaking has a visual language that actual has some good and sometimes complex rules, he’s liable to start devouring it. It’s allright and sometimes necessary to break the rules for a certain effect, but it’s much more likely to be successful and not just good or bad happenstance if you know that you’re breaking them and why.

This book has some shorter chapters on other forms of film making like documentary, spots, and promotion, but it is first, foremost and in far greatest bulk about narrative film making (telling usually a fictional story), techniques that you learn that are often applicable to other endeavors as well.

So, how do I see the last several parts of the slugco opus?

Ron Shook
    Shoulder-High Eye Productions
    CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

• Ron Shook

June 2, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Oops,

The link to the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-Film-Language-Daniel-Arijon/dp/187950507X

Ron Shook
    Shoulder-High Eye Productions
    CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

• Carl Kadie

June 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Ron,

Thanks much for the book recommendation. At $20 it it seems like a great resource.

> So, how do I see the last several parts of the slugco opus?

Please send me an email at [email protected]. (Ben is limiting access to maintain film festival eligibility.)

– Carl

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy