Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Fibrechannel SAN with Premiere Pro

• Fibrechannel SAN with Premiere Pro

• marisu fronc

September 21, 2005 at 2:25 pm

Hi all –

We just got our new fibrechannel SAN for our Premiere workstations – is anyone else usng a fibrechannel SAN with Premiere and, if so, what level RAID are you running. We have been having trouble with performance trying to use anything but RAID 0 – any light shed would be VERY welcome. Thanks again.

slainte,
    marisu

• Shane Sokolosky

September 21, 2005 at 4:49 pm

Which RAID are you using?
    X Serve RAID, Medea FCR or FCRX, ADTX L Series, all seem to work great with Premiere Pro on Windows XP.

Shane Sokolosky

SAN Product Manager
    ProMax Systems inc.
    16 Technology Dr. Ste.106
    Irvine, CA. 92618

Office (949) 727-3977 x108
    Toll free (877) 776-6292
    Fax (949) 727-7002
    Website-https://www.Promax.com
    shane.sokolosky@promax.com

• marisu fronc

September 21, 2005 at 7:15 pm

Sahne –

It’s a Sanbolics, using Nstor hardware.

slainte,
    marisu

• Shane Sokolosky

September 22, 2005 at 3:19 pm

Hum I’m not familiar with that solution or Nstor hardware I’d be curious to see what kind of speed your getting with a RAID 5 though.

Shane Sokolosky

SAN Product Manager
    ProMax Systems inc.
    16 Technology Dr. Ste.106
    Irvine, CA. 92618

Office (949) 727-3977 x108
    Toll free (877) 776-6292
    Fax (949) 727-7002
    Website-https://www.Promax.com
    shane.sokolosky@promax.com

• marisu fronc

September 22, 2005 at 5:08 pm

Shane –

With RAID 5 (or 50, or 3 for that matter – basically anything but RAID 0) the first problem encountered was with capture (we never even got to the point of testing playback) – the parity check was taking up to 5 times the length of the clip to return a “go on” command to PPro so, for example, if I captured a 5 minute clip it would take up to 15 minutes before the logging window popped up to complete the capture and allow me to go on.

At this point everyone is pointing fingers as to where the hang-up is, so my brand new SAN is off-limits for the next couple of weeks while they try to trouble-shoot. Hopefully I will be able to let you know about the fantastic performance it delivers once they actually get it working. However, after the last 3 days of installation, etc I’m afraid I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks for the info on known good set-ups, I passed it along to the decision makers in case we end up right back at square one again.

slainte,
    marisu

• Christopher Tay

September 23, 2005 at 2:40 am

Hi Marisu,

Just for your reference, I’ve done a two systems SAN using an ADTX FC storage and SANmp SAN software and it’s been working fine so far. The ADTX that we configured is using 15 SATA drives in RAID5 with just one RAID controller which has two FC ports that goes directly to the two Premiere Pro systems running on the BOXX workstation.

-chrispy

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy