Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy FCPro 5 / Sony DSR-11 timecode problem

• FCPro 5 / Sony DSR-11 timecode problem

• Petteri Evilampi

February 8, 2006 at 8:16 pm

AARGH!
    I just run out of ideas what to do.
    My old G4 Pwerbook does it, my former G5 dual 2.5 did it
    BUT my new G5 Quad 2.5 DOES NOT transport timecode from FCPro 5.0.4 timeline to DV-Cam tape via firewire.
    Has anyone a clue what

• david bogie

February 9, 2006 at 12:02 am

Your other systems must have been running preFCP4 versions. Apple fixed the ability to send timecode to lowly machines like the DSR11 in v4 (or was it 4.5?). We screamed and whined for months after it happened. It is a deliberate Apple-inflicted Firewire and FCP issue, nothing you can do about it.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

• Scott Davis

February 9, 2006 at 4:31 am

Google “simple video out”

Scott Davis

• Petteri Evilampi

February 9, 2006 at 7:56 am

I bet I would not have found the answer to my question from the entire homeland of mine, Finland

• david bogie

February 9, 2006 at 3:29 pm

thanks for the reminder, Scott. “Simple Video Out” is an interesting route to take but, please correct me if I’m wrong because it’s been so long since I bothered to look that up, there was nothing particularly “simple” about that kluge.

PetteriE: Would you please tell us how you solved this?

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

• Arnie Schlissel

February 9, 2006 at 5:05 pm

V3.x was the last version of FCP that sent TC out over FW. From what I heard, it was never a supported feature, & it didn’t work consistently or reliably. Some people got TC out, some didn’t.

The standard kludge is to set up a Timeline with TC that starts at, let’s say 58:30;00, drop a couple of minutes of slug onto it, then export as an FCP ref movie. Open that file up in SimpleVideoOut, then set your DSR-11 to DVCam, external TC. Press record on the DSR-11, press play in SVO. Voila! Your tape is prestriped!

You could also output all of your headers, or even your entire show this way, but I found that SVO often left little glitches on the tape, so I only used it to prestripe, & then used FCP to ETT.

Arnie
    https://www.arniepix.com

• Petteri Evilampi

February 10, 2006 at 12:18 pm

I just started to export all timelines I need as QT-movie in original format and then drag-and-drop those files to SimpleVideoOutX and push rec&play at DSR-11! That

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy