Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

• FCP to DVD

• Francis Hughes

October 21, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am about to embark on a project that will require me to go to DVD. Ive never had to do this before as all work to date in my experience has been straight to web, flv’s etc.

Basically I need to go from final cut to DVD, I will be recording the footage as SD Mini DV and once edited I need to go to a 4.7 DVD of which I need to make 3 copies. The edit should be about an hour and a half. What is the best and quickest way and programme to do this. I have 5 hours to edit and deliver to DVD!

Please help!

• Steve Eisen

October 21, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Export your sequence as QuickTime movie. Two options after that DVDSP or iDVD.

Quickest and least attractive way to do it is to connect a standalone DVD recorder to your DV deck/camera.

Steve Eisen
    Eisen Video Productions
    Board of Directors
    Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

• Alan Smith

October 21, 2008 at 2:19 pm

[Francis Hughes] “What is the best and quickest way and programme to do this.”

I prefer to use Compressor to create your .mpg4 and .ac3 files and DVD Studio Pro to burn the disc.

[Francis Hughes] “I have 5 hours to edit and deliver to DVD!”

Because of your time constraint, you might need to export from FCP using Compressor. Set compressor to the DVD settings you prefer, maybe the 90 minute best quality. Once the compression has finished, import the two files into DVD Studio Pro as assets and place them in a he green Track box, making sure it is set to first play (control-click the track, click first play). Delete the blue menu box. Click the burn icon in the menu bar across the top. To make multiple copies, either place the master in a duplicator and make all the copies you need or insert a new DVD and click burn again, repeating until you have all the copies you need.

Alan

Alan Smith
    Media317

Check out my blog – https://media317.com

• Francis Hughes

October 21, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Thanks man that is really great answer! Can I/How do I loop the track in DVDSP? Is there an option some where that will just get the DVD to loop once its played in a DVD player ? Also how long would it take to burn the disk?

• Alan Smith

October 21, 2008 at 2:40 pm

[Francis Hughes] “Can I/How do I loop the track in DVDSP?”

Click on the track (green box) and in the Inspector set the “End Jump” back to the track. That will tell the DVD to play the track when it gets to the end of the track. This will cause it to repeat until you hit stop on the player.

[Francis Hughes] “Also how long would it take to burn the disk?”

Burning the disc will take approximately 15 – 30 minutes. It will depend on your burner speed. The longest time is going to in compressing the file to .mp4 and .ac3. For an 90 minute clip, you are looking at a minimum of 90 minutes render time, but it will probably run double that time. It depends on several factors (processor speed, RAM, etc.)

Alan

Alan Smith
    Media317

• Francis Hughes

October 21, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Thanks Alan, really helpful response. Our laptop has 2.04 GHz and an 8x so hopefully it should be Ok. Last question I promise (ive never really used DVDSP, my boss wants to buy a firewire DVD 20x once connected its should be a case of just selecting it from a drop down menu in burn options in DVDSP?

• Alan Smith

October 21, 2008 at 4:52 pm

[Francis Hughes] “a firewire DVD 20x once connected its should be a case of just selecting it from a drop down menu in burn options in DVDSP?”

I have not attempted this workflow, however, I would assume that you are correct. As long as the DVD is in the external drive, Studio Pro would burn to that drive. I am not certain, but that sounds correct.

Alan

Alan Smith
    Media317

• Alan Smith

October 21, 2008 at 4:54 pm

[Dave LaRonde] “The last time I read anything about file specifications for authored NTSC DVDs, you had to use mpeg2 compression, and not mp4.”

You are correct. Typo/Error on my part. The file is .m2v (mpeg 2 not mpeg 4).

Thanks for the clarification.

Alan

Alan Smith
    Media317

• Francis Hughes

October 21, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I am in fact in the UK does this change anything, except making sure settings are PAL in DVDSP.

• Alan Smith

October 21, 2008 at 8:01 pm

[Francis Hughes] “I am in fact in the UK does this change anything, except making sure settings are PAL in DVDSP.”

It should not matter. It is all software, which should not make a difference.

Alan Smith
    Media317

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy