Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP 7 Project to FCP X

• FCP 7 Project to FCP X

Posted by Bruce Fraser on June 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I have a project that never ends. Stock footage. I have an EX-1 FCP 7 doesn’t change the name of the clips on the drive. I rename them in the project then organize them into bins. How will I get the footage into FCP X without losing all the organization I’ve done? Export all the clips? Dump them in a Sequence and export the sequence? Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you,
    Bruce

Bruce Fraser replied 12 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Craig Seeman

June 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm

While FCPX can import EX clips once they’ve been wrapped to .mov (Sony is working on direct import for FCPX) there’s no way currently to import from FCP7 at all and based on Apple’s FAQ posted today, they believe it’s not possible This is a perfect example though, why event a primitive import function would be useful. One can only hope that some third party tackles this or Apple realize that even an import import of nothing more than clips, possibly in linear succession (timeline) would be helpful even if all filters, transitions, etc, were tossed.

• Matthew Celia

June 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Craig, I’m not sure what you’d get out of what you described.

To me, it seems that you’d be able to mimic the folder structure in the finder, then add to FCPX’s events window (making sure that the setting in the preferences leaves footage where it is). Then everything in the bin will show up in the event.

I imagine that FCPX’s keywords and smart collections would be a HUGE plus for someone who has a stock footage library.

—————-
    FCP Guru
    http://www.fcpguru.com

• Bruce Fraser

June 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m not so much worried about the project. I mean I am but what’s more important going forward is all the organization that went into the project. I think I’ll start exporting all the clips with the proper names. I’ll finish all the editing in the project then pick up where I left off in the new FCP X.

Thanks,
    b

Bruce

• Bruce Fraser

June 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I’m not so much worried about the project. I mean I am but what’s more important going forward is all the organization that went into the project. I think I’ll start exporting all the clips with the proper names. I’ll finish all the editing in the project then pick up where I left off in the new FCP X.

Thanks,
    b

• Matthew Celia

June 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm

You can also tell Final Cut Pro 7 to rename the source clip, based on the name you have given it in the Browser – might help you from having to reexport every clip, just to change the name – but I might be missing an important detail.

—————-
    FCP Guru
    http://www.fcpguru.com

• Craig Seeman

June 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yes, clips can be imported now.
    FCP7 Sequences/Projects can not.
    My concern with what Bruce is doing is whether the clips will keep their names. He notes the the names live only in FCP7.

Each bin could certainly be grouped in matching named folders on the drive and imported to similarly named collections.

• Will Eccleston

June 29, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Not sure if this will help you, but you could use the Rename function in FCP 7:

Select all footage clips in your Stock Footage project
    Right-click on the icon of any one of them and choose Rename>File to Match Clip

Now all of your clips are renamed in the Finder, and eventually you will be able to import them into FCPX

Will Eccleston
    Kinetiscape Films

• Bruce Fraser

June 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Will, nice tip thank you. Worked perfect. That saved me a ton of time and headache. Now I can move over somewhat easily.

b

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy