Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy fcp 7 audio/video drift/sync

• fcp 7 audio/video drift/sync

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 2:23 am

I have a clip (.MOV, ProRes 422 HQ, 720×480, 48kHz, 29.97, 16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo) that plays just fine in Finder and in QuickTime Player (versions 7.6.6 and 10.3), but in FCP 7.0.3, the audio and video drift out of sync, more and more as the clip goes on.
    By the end of the hour-long clip, the video lags about a second behind the audio.

I saw some threads from 2010 where someone had the exact same problem with his 23.98 footage (which should have been transcoded at 23.976), but my footage I’m dealing with is 29.97.

Anyone here know the solution to this?

Thanks!

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 3:34 am

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I should’ve mentioned:
    * I’m running OS 10.9.5 (on a 15″ Late-2011 MacBook Pro)
    * The audio/video drifts out of sync just from playing in the FCP Viewer, before even getting to the Sequence/Timeline, so it is apparently NOT a Sequence Settings issue.
    * The clip opens and plays just fine in Premiere Pro 5.5.

Ted

• David Roth Weiss

October 26, 2018 at 3:56 am

Open a new sequence, drag that clip onto the timeline, when the dialog box appears make sure to let FCP match the sequence settings to the clip, and now hit play. Does your audio still drift?

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
    David Weiss Productions
    Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 4:16 am

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the audio still drifts after Clip placed in Timeline and FCP matches Sequence Settings to Clip.
    It still drifts in Timeline/Canvas playback, same amount as drift in Viewer.

Ted

• David Roth Weiss

October 26, 2018 at 4:38 am

You might try transcoding that clip in Adobe Media Encoder. But, is that clip possibly from a phone, transcoded to Pro Res?

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
    David Weiss Productions
    Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 4:43 am

That clip was already transferred/transcoded from a miniDV tape to ProRes, so I’d rather not re-transcode it and suffer another generation loss.
    I’d rather just have FCP play it back correctly, like QT, Finder and Premiere Pro do.

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 6:55 pm

I didn’t do the transfer, a transfer house did it, and I think they said they DID ingest it as a DV file – and maybe they used Easy Setup (I don’t know).

Yes, the original footage was 32kHz (from Sony VX1000), but once transcoded to 48kHz, it plays totally fine in QT, Premiere, Finder, so why wouldn’t it play fine in FCP 7? All FCP 7 sees is a file with 48kHz audio.

Are you saying that video with 32kHz audio can’t be transcoded to video with 48kHz audio, and still play in FCP7 – or is there a specific way or settings necessary in the transcode process?
    If the latter, what is that specific way or settings?

• Ted Coakley

October 26, 2018 at 10:41 pm

I would ingest into FCP 7 via firewire, if my Sony DSR-11 or Sony VX-1000 were working right, but they’re not at the moment.
    If I did, what would that gain me?
    I already know for sure that the video file with audio/video drift in FCP7 plays fine (with no audio/video drift) in Finder, QT and Premiere, so the file appears fine.
    What good would it do for me to transcode another copy of the video?

• Ted Coakley

October 27, 2018 at 5:14 am

Do you mean Log & Capture (instead of Log & Transfer), to bring it in from miniDV tape as pristine unaltered DV?
    (I’ve always used Log & Capture to ingest from tape, but didn’t know that’s possible with Log & Transfer.)

In either case, what good would the pristine unaltered DV file do me? What are you suggesting I do with that file?

• Nick Meyers

October 27, 2018 at 5:55 am

hi Ted.
    its strange alright, i don’t really know if there’s a simple answer.
    -can you get the DV capture from the post house that did it?

other approaches:
    re-sync the audio in a FCP timeline, and export
    2 ways to do this: every 150 seconds, adda frame, or rather duplicate a frame of audio,
    (blade the audio and slip the right hand side 1 fr)
    (NB the 150 seconds is according my calculations, which could easily be wrong, I’m a bit tired, maybe you should double check them!)

find you end sync point, and trim the audio to there
    double click into the viewer,
    mark in/outs around your picture in the timeline
    and do a fit to fil edit back into the timeline (drag to GREEN window in canvas, or Shift+F11)
    this will stretch it out to fit the image.

exporting from FCP will NOT add generational loss to your video,
    if you export a QuickTIme move, using the default “Same Settings”

extract or export the audio from the QT file
    maybe bringing that int FCP it will behave???

one more thing to look into:
    do your sequence presets match your clip?
    there is a known fault in FCP where imported AUDIO ONLY will take on the frame rate of the selected sequence preset,
    and if that does match your video frame-rate, then the audio will drift against the video when synced.

its hard to believe that this could cause a file containing both the video and audio to drift within itself,
    but who knows??

good luck with it,
    nick

Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy