Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Exporting P2 with 8 audio channels

• Exporting P2 with 8 audio channels

• Angelo Lorenzo

September 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm

So I have P2 clips with 4 channels of audio and 3-4 channels of production sound. I’ve merged them (which creates a cluster-f of 28 mono audio channels, but I’ve figured that issue out) and I’d like to export P2 with 8 channels of audio for our client backup (smart rendering the video along the way).

When I export these merged clips, which I’ve channel mapped to 8 mono tracks, to P2 with 8 audio channels… I get a file where all 8 channels have been summed to stereo and that sits in channel 1&2 of the P2 file.

Also is there any way if I say the name of my file during export is “abcd01.mxf” that the P2 structure reflects that? It renames all the corresponding XML and MXF files to some semi random name.

Insight? I know Premiere is usually eye-gougingly bad with exporting multichannel audio.

——————–
    Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
    Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
    Fallen Empire Digital Production Services – Los Angeles
    RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
    Fallen Empire – The Blog
    A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
    Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

• Tim Kolb

September 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

It isn’t “eye-gougingly bad” as far as I know…

P2 creates names that make no sense to humans…Adobe has no control over that. The file name you give it will be evident upon re-import into Adobe, but Panasonic’s format insists on inventing something else for the OS-level filename.

What is the audio master setup on the sequence? Is it stereo? You would want multichannel for an 8 channel output.

(edit) Actually, I checked the documentation as I’ve never tried to master back to P2 as multichannel. Premiere Pro supports exporting 4 channels out (what the camera supports) to P2 when mapped A1-left front, A2-right front, A3-left rear, A4-right rear in a 5.1 sequence.

TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

• Angelo Lorenzo

September 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

It’s creating two tracks with 5.1 channels and mapping 1-4 as instructed in Adobe’s help file and 4-8 similarly in the second 5.1 track.

There are other issues with mapping and batch processing, I just abandoned the idea of batching P2 so I have the client an XML project of everything synced on the timeline.

Trying to be clever didn’t pay off in this instance.

——————–
    Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
    Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
    Fallen Empire Digital Production Services – Los Angeles
    RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
    Fallen Empire – The Blog
    A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
    Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy