Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Editing 1920×1080 proress in FCP?

  • Editing 1920×1080 proress in FCP?

    Posted by Zac Little on August 21, 2013 at 1:19 pm

    workflow question:

    Our footage was shot in HD 1920 x 1080 at 24 fps on a Cannon T2i – it shoots H.264 natively.

    I brought the footage in to compressor and converted to Apple ProRes 422 for editing and eventual output.
    (I’m editing using FCP 7)

    There are no default sequence settings to edit Apple ProRes 422 at 1920×1080

    No a problem,
    there is a work-around by manually setting the “prompt” for sequence settings.
    As you can see in image 1 we’re looking good.
    “apple prores 422 1920×1080 24p”

    as it say’s here, it’s progressive. cool.
    I set that and can begin working.

    But, If I then look at my sequence settings by clicking sequence>settings

    I see image 2, which is HDTVi
    it’s 1920×1080, 24fps (technically 23.98) square pixels. etc.

    My concern is that suddenly this seems to be interlaced? (i)

    I don’t want to take the nice progressive footage and convert it to interlaced.
    I don’t want any weird de-interlacing artifacts in the final output.
    Or is this not a problem as you can tell in image 3 there is no field dominance?

    From what I can tell. This is the only way FCP can edit 1920×1080 HD footage.
    So when I output I’m hoping it will be fine.

    I just want to make sure I’m not missing something now before sinking all the hours into editing.

    Zac Little replied 13 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Shane Ross

    August 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

    First off, I don’t see any images.

    Second, you do have ProRes 422 settings, look in your EASY SETUPS.

    But to get a sequence that matches, all you need to do is add a clip to the timeline and click YES when FCP prompts you to make the clip and sequence settings match.

    Third, the Canon DSLRs don’t shoot interlaced, and at 24p they shoot 23.98. And 1080 is an interlaced format…but that doesn’t mean the footage is. It’s just called “1080i.” It’s simply the name.

    You are fine…sounds like everything is normal. Just your lack of experience with the terminology is confusing you…that’s all.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Zac Little

    August 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm

    Ahh… forgive my ignorance, here are the aforementioned images.
    and yeah, I know it’s 23.98.

    So you think I’ll be fine if my eventual output is 1920×1080 pro res 422? shall I just export via compressor?

    The whole “i” thing was throwing me off. I didn’t realize 1080 was inherently interlaced.
    Thanks!!

  • Shane Ross

    August 21, 2013 at 4:31 pm

    Everything is fine. Your exports will be fine.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Zac Little

    August 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm

    thanks for the response!!! just wanted to check before I really get into it!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy