Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy ease-in/out in FCP 5

• ease-in/out in FCP 5

• Mike Morris

May 31, 2006 at 6:12 am

I have a question that, in all honesty, I am ashamed to be asking. I recently switched from PC to my Quad G5, and purchased FC studio 5. I’ve done a lot of editing in FCP now, including some motion with stills. The question I have is regarding getting the motion of the image to “ease” to a stop. In Premiere (used premiere pro 1.5), I’d simply right-click on the keyframe, hit “ease in” and the image would come to a gradual stop (similar, for you AE users, to hitting F9 to ease the keyframe). I’ve played with the “ease-in/out” feature in FCP while working on the canvas with image + wireframe, and have had unsatisfying results. It doesn’t appear to give it the gradual stop I am looking for. it will either just increase the initial speed of the motion and/or scaling, rotation, etc. and not ease the stop, or it comes to an abrupt stop, after “bouncing” around a little before the stop. If there is a more simple way to do this, could someone please let me know? If not, could you either explain or point me to a tutorial that shows me how to get the desired “decceleration” (for lack of better term) I am looking for?

Sib Ntsib Dua

Xeeb

• Lu Nelson

May 31, 2006 at 10:03 am

I’ve seen this too — trying to actually work in the canvas for this is not very well-implemented in FCP.

The weird thing is that if you’ve got two KFs and you want it to ease OUT of the first one say, you have to actually control click (in the canvas) on the second one and select “ease in/out”. It’s the reverse if you want it to ease IN to the second one, i.e. you click on the first KF and select “ease in/out”. With more complex animations i.e. multiple KFs, I’m not sure —

Kevin Monahan on this forum should be the expert on this

• Lu Nelson

May 31, 2006 at 10:11 am

Sorry,

my last post was totally wrong, I tried to quickly recreate your situation and interpreted what I was doing the wrong way. Ease in/out should work — you click on the point you want to ease. What happens is that it tends to create an acceleration OUT of the other KF or IN to the other KF, whichever way you’re going. The thing I think to know, is that when you do it, your motion path then has two little handles on it and then a bunch of little dots indicating the speed of the movement — all marked in the same color, unfortunately. But look for the large dots: one is a bezier handle to curve the path, and the other is a speed handle, which if you slide along the path will allow you to control the accel/decel at the point you’re controlling.

• Roddy Jamieson

May 31, 2006 at 3:47 pm

We may be talking about the same thing but I use the motion area, right click on the KF and choose ‘smooth’. This gives acceleration in and deceleation out, works well for me.

Roddy Jamieson

• Lu Nelson

May 31, 2006 at 5:53 pm

really? that doesn’t work for me actually. I can’t get a right click option on KFs in the motion tab, only on ones I click in the canvas.

• Roddy Jamieson

May 31, 2006 at 9:48 pm

It can be quite sensitive as to where you place the cursor, sometimes you only get the value, but aslight move will show the smooth option.

Roddy Jamieson

• Jason

June 1, 2006 at 3:25 pm

I’ve been having the same problem. i can right-click on the scale keyframes and select “smooth”, but not on the motion keyframes.

• Tom Wolsky

June 1, 2006 at 3:48 pm

You have to apply Center motion easing to the keyframes in the Canvas. It can’t be done in the keyframe graph in the Motion tab of the Viewer.

All the best,

Tom

Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop” Class on Demand “Complete Training for FCP5” DVD

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy