Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Dynamic Link offline with 2021 update

• Dynamic Link offline with 2021 update

Eric Santiago updated 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Posts
  • Chris Taylor

March 22, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Hi all,

I just updated to the new version and all my AE dynamic links are offline. I’m on Mac OS Big Sur. After some back and forth with Adobe, we’ve kicked around the idea of a permissions issue so they took the reins on my Mac several time but without any resolution. They’ve since escalated it to a Sr Tech but I’m now sitting at a week with no call from them and need to get back in the game.

I know they say never to update in the middle of a project, but this is a 2-year project with Adobe assets from other people that will be updating, so I need to as well. I also started this project in Premiere/AE 2019 and updated to 2020 last year without issues.

Thanks for any help!

• Blaise Douros

March 22, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue; are you not able to manually reconnect the Dynamic Link objects?
    Normally, if this happens to me, I right-click on the offline Dynamic
    Link in the timeline, select “Link Media,” navigate to the .aep that it points to, and
    it reconnects. Does it not work to do this?

If you create a new Dynamic Link as a test, what happens? Does it simply not work?

• Chris Taylor

March 22, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. No it gives me a generic error when I try to relink.

I also tried re-saving the media in an updated 2021 AE, that doesn’t work either. Also tried copying the AE media/project files to a new external drive and importing – no dice.

The other strange thing is it will work at first then after a few minutes, bounce back to the dreaded, red “media offline” and when I try to re-link it will again give me the generic error.

• Blaise Douros

March 22, 2021 at 10:05 pm

If I were in your shoes (and thank god I’m not, this sounds like an enormous freakin’ drag) I would be jumping into AE and setting up a big render of all your relevant AE comps into Media Encoder and rendering them off overnight. If it’s overlay GFX, something with alpha, otherwise, just ProRes LT or something similarly good-enough but lightweight on the disk.

Make a copy of your timeline in its current state, and then replace the Dynamic Linked stuff in the new timeline with the renders. If Adobe gets back with a fix, then you can always use the previous version of the timeline to relink, but in the meantime, you’re going to have to work old school by rendering off comps from AE.

• Chris Taylor

March 23, 2021 at 9:10 pm

Ugh, I hate workarounds. But I guess I’ll have to since Adobe doesn’t know how to fix their own software. Thanks for your help.

• Eric Santiago

March 30, 2021 at 6:31 pm

There are other issues out there and I had to un-install 2021 across the board on a few Macs.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy