Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › DVPRO 50 import question…

  • DVPRO 50 import question…

    Posted by Alex Hubbard on January 3, 2008 at 5:42 am

    I borrowed a Sony PD150 to record my footage. Now I have to capture it to final cut using a Sony Handycam, an old one.

    What settings should I capture on, the DV50 or just the standard DV NTSC48hz. All of this is NTSC, using Final Cut 5.

    (Originally I imported with the PD150 but had Final cut set to DV NTSC, when exported it looked bad…)

    thanks for any help or suggestions.

    Alex

    Tom Matthies replied 18 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Shane Ross

    January 3, 2008 at 7:46 am

    DV/NTSC…since that is the format you recorded. DVCPRO 50, or DV50, is a Panasonic format, and only recorded on panasonic DVCPRO 50 cameras.

    Shane


    Littlefrog Post

    GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • Tom Matthies

    January 3, 2008 at 3:16 pm

    Actually DV50 isn’t limited to just Panasonic equipment. It’s simply another codec available within FCP. I don’t know if you can “capture”to DV50 from a DV25 Firewire setup (never tried it), but I capture from Beta SP and Digibeta all of the time to the DV50 codec. Its a good compromise between good quality and a reasonable data rate. I use DV50 when cutting local TV spots or programming that has a limited on-air run and save the uncompressed or HD formats for higher end work or content that will have a lot of graphic treatments.
    If the user has access to a capture card, it is a very reasonable way to capture footage at good quality and lower data rates. I normally capture DV25 footage (DVCam, DVCPro & MiniDV) from a Sony DSR1500A via SDI through an Aja Io.
    Works flawlessly.
    Tom

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy