Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy DVCProHD Varicam 30p Coming in 59.94

• DVCProHD Varicam 30p Coming in 59.94

• Matt Silverman

June 6, 2006 at 10:55 pm

I have a varicam tape that was shot 30p. I loaded it into FCP using Firewire with the 30p easy setup. The tape had two timecode breaks which FCP detected and dealt with, so I ended up with three QT’s. The first QT says it is 59.94, the second and third are 29.97. I then loaded tape2, which didn’t have any timecode breaks and it came in 59.94. The 59.94 clips have every frame duplicated.

What’s the deal? Anyone? I am going to look into the Panasonic plug-in to see if this can help.

Thanks!

-Matt

• Matt Silverman

June 7, 2006 at 12:10 am

The panasonic plug-in has fixed this problem. Still don’t understand why it happened though. And I think this plug-in might solve the smoke conforming.

• Sean ONeil

June 7, 2006 at 2:06 am

I wish I could help. The mysteries of the Varicam workflow continue to baffle me. Nothing ever works the way you think it’s supposed to. Just remember that you lose your source TC information when using the Panasonic plugin.

Sean

• Sean ONeil

June 7, 2006 at 2:24 am

BTW,are you sure the actual video footage is 30p? Are you sure it isn’t just 30fps timecode but the video is 23.98? Jog through frame by frame and look for duplicate frames.

I’ve gotten several jobs where they set the Varicams to 23.98, yet the timecode was 30fps SMTPE non-drop. This has caused a tremendous headache.

Sean

• Matt Silverman

June 8, 2006 at 1:17 am

No. It definitely was 30p. Every frame in the 59.94 clips were duplicated.

And thanks for the heads-up with timecode. I immediately noticed this. I ended up using the timecode from the 59.94 clip and matched back tot he 29.97 clip.

Varicam is definitely is a headache. We have learned the idiosyncrasies of HD-CAM and SR over the past year, but suddenly everything coming in is DVCProHD.

• gary adcock

June 8, 2006 at 1:58 am

[Matt Silverman] “No. It definitely was 30p. Every frame in the 59.94 clips were duplicated. Varicam is definitely is a headache. We have learned the idiosyncrasies of HD-CAM and SR over the past year, but suddenly everything coming in is DVCProHD.”

Matt
    rather than bash using a Varicam why not learn that Posting with a Varicam is different than HDCAM.

Varicam always lays DVCPROHD to tape at 60FPS, it does that so the offspeed content can be captured at 60fps regardless whether you shoot at 2 / 13 /24 or 48fps – it still lays to tape at 60, Hence the reason for the duplicate frames when shooting at 30p.

Proper edit procedures would have allowed you to capture the content as 30p. Half of the issues causing the 59.94 capture lie with the editor –

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy