Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › AJA Video Systems › DVCPRO Frame Rate Converter Problem

  • DVCPRO Frame Rate Converter Problem

    Posted by Heckstorm1985 on May 4, 2006 at 6:51 am

    So, I’ve been going along capturing 60p footage shot on Varicam via firewire on a Panasonic DVCPRO HD deck, and converting it to 24p (slow motion) just fine using the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter in Final Cut Pro. THen all the sudden, I reboot and when I try to use the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate converter, I get an error message which says “The selected media file (name%) cannot be processed by this tool. Only DVCPRO HD 720p 59.94 fps media files are supported.” The new files have the same specs as my older captures which worked great. Also, now I can’t even go back and convert those old files anymore, so something has obviously gotten messed up. Then I tried to reinstall the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter from the desktop stuffit file, but that did not fix it.

    I noticed an old thread with a similar problem but it was never answered.

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Jc In the mix replied 20 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jc In the mix

    May 18, 2006 at 7:26 pm

    A gotcha to look out for.

    Panasonic wrote a handy little application for their DVCPRO HD codec….the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter. This allows you to take footage shot at 60p (with the intention of it being used as slow motion) and convert it to 23.98 and give you smooth slow motion. It allows you to convert DVCPRO HD into many other frame rates, but this usage is the most common, and very useful. On a show I edited on an Avid, we had to take the footage shot at 60p and have a dub facility run it thru a special converter box and dub it onto another tape. This converter allows me to bypass that workflow.

    But there is a “gotcha.” If you attempt to convert the footage in your main project, you can’t. It will give you an error message: “No video file found in selected clip.” I followed the instructions to a “T.” I selected the file in the Browser, went to the TOOLS menu and selected DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter…but still got that message. Like many processes in FCP, there is a workaround.

    Create a new project with the same settings and import the clips you need to convert. Go thru the steps outlined in the instructions and BOOM, it works. What this does, if you set this up in the conversion settings (which I suggest you do) is create a new media file. Import that clip into the new project, then copy it into the old project and you are all set.

    A slow motion clip that is as smooth as silk.
    Original posting @ https://proapptips.com/tips/article.php?story=2006011400221371

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy