Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve DRIVE SPEED FOR EDITING

• DRIVE SPEED FOR EDITING

David Council updated 1 week, 2 days ago 6 Members · 15 Posts
  • David Council

March 27, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Hey David. Thanks for your learned reply.

My assumption is that at some point, hard drive speed will cause a bottleneck in the pipeline, and that this point is calculable. Approaching this as a scientific experiment, we’d have to theoretically remove all other bottlenecks, and look at just the speed of the drives, therefore assuming that gpu / cpu are not bottlenecks. This is not to deny the blatantly obvious fact that CPU / GPU are important in decoding footage, it simply acknowledges that these obvious facts do not help us perform an accurate calculation about required drive speed.

***This number does not mean much regarding the need for your hard drive speed. It tells you the bandwidth needed when recording RAW footage***

You’ll have to forgive my ignorance here, but it seems that you’re suggesting that the bandwidth required to write raw F55 data onto media at, say 24fps, is different from the bandwidth required to play the same data from a raid array at 24fps? Writing at 24fps and reading at 24fps require different drive bandwidths? Can you explain this to me further?

Everyone’s answer of “as fast as possible” leads me to guess you’re all driving Ferraris to Asda for the groceries. I need to look at my rate card again …

Best

DC

• Jeremy Garchow

March 27, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I don’t think anyone said as fast as possible. You asked about NVMe.

Get yourself a single hard drive. It seems like it’s all you want to spend. It won’t work well, but at least you know the bandwidth won’t be wasted!

And yes, writing raw data from sensor is going to be different than playing back raw footage from disk in resolve. It’s a completely different process.

A three drive raid-0 hard disk array would be the least amount of kit I’d recommend with reservations. A five drive raid5 wound be better. And driving a Ferrari to get the groceries is purely sublime. You should try it!

• David Council

March 28, 2021 at 11:07 am

Thanks for a very entertaining response Jeremy. I’ve read it carefully:
    “I don’t think anyone said as fast as possible.”
    You yourself said “faster is better”
    Jim said “buy a lot more computer than you think you’ll need”
    “You asked about NVMe.”
    No. I asked about general drive speed, and used the insane speeds of NVme as an example
    “Get yourself a single hard drive. It seems like it’s all you want to spend.
    I said “I’m happy to invest in something like the OWC Accelsior
    “And yes, writing raw data from sensor is going to be different than playing back raw footage from disk in resolve. It’s a completely different process.”
    I didn’t say they were the same process, I questioned if they need different drive bandwidth. I didn’t see you answer that question. Can you?
    “A three drive raid-0 hard disk array would be the least amount of kit I’d recommend with reservations. A five drive raid5 wound be better.”
    “faster is better” (That’s what you said, isn’t it?) Why use raid 5 over raid 0? I’m aware how they both work, which is why I didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on the comparative merits of different raid configurations. Or expect a recommendation to use a slower array when “faster is better”.
    There seems to be quite a lot of – how can I put this – overcompensation – with fast drives and fast cars here ….
    Enjoy your trip to the shops! Your imaginary Ferrari is making me very jealous ….

• Tero Ahlfors

March 29, 2021 at 5:30 am

There aren’t a lot of formats that would straight up require insane speeds to smoothly run them in realtime. Those are usually needed if the workflow requires working on high resolution DPX/TIFF/EXR image sequences where the bitrate for just playing something back would be 2 GB/s or more. Or if one is setting up a NAS that has a lot of users editing footage from one location at the same time.

Most camera footage isn’t really that heavy so the bang for the buck/storage size option would be an HDD RAID that has a sufficiently fast connection on it. Like thunderbolt 3 or an internal RAID if the computer case is big enough.

• David Council

April 2, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Hey Tero, thanks for your sensible response. That’s kind of what I’m looking at. Thanks for making time to think about it.

DC

Viewing 11 - 15 of 15 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy