Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Desperation: Kona 2 not well.

• Desperation: Kona 2 not well.

Fred Connors Jr. updated 16 years ago 3 Members · 5 Posts
  • Francois Driessen

April 6, 2005 at 5:04 pm

Ouch. I need to be rescued here.
    I just installed a replacement card from AJA and I have the exact same problem as I originally had:

The only thing that works is Input Passthrough through the AJA Control Panel. Anything else just results in Green Magenta & Black scrambles. Even the color bars from the Kona Control Panel is scrambled. All I’m getting is a thin strip of bars at the top of the monitor, the rest is scramled.

I reseated the card into a 100MHz slot and then managed to get bars, yet the top Hor Alignment is completely out. Buzzing around like crazy. Seated it back in the 133 and I’m back to pretty Green Magenta and black scrambles again. Hello.

Cannot capture from FCP HD. Even trying with a Kona Easy Setup. All I’m getting is a green screen. Tried 525i, 720p and the works. All I’m capturing is a perfect green.

Kona 2 drivers 1.0.5 uninstalled & reinstalled.
    No Conflicts detected. Nothing else on this machine but FCP, Motion & AE that runs Quicktime
    OS 10.3.8 reasonably freshly installed and all OK.
    FCP , Motion and AE grabs the card fine and the Varicam signal registers correctly in the AJA Control Panel. But Ma Gr & Bl scrambles for all of them.

NB: Is anyone out there running the Kona 2 successfully with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256M graphics card? (Might be superstitious but this is what I’m beginning to suspect).?

Thank you to brave rescuers that would try to save me…

Francois J Driessen
    >- e y e f l a m e .tv –<

• Bob Zelin

April 6, 2005 at 6:47 pm

please describe your HD source (or SDI source) VTR, and exactly how you are monitoring the output of the Kona 2 – do you have an HD monitor, or are you using a YRB component monitor ?

Bob Zelin

• Francois Driessen

April 6, 2005 at 7:50 pm

Video source is a Varicam. Coming in from HD SDI

Monitor is a 525i LCD TV. Coming in from the Kona Analog YPbPr
    I Have tested the Digi Out from the Kona running it through the Varicam’s EVERTZ downconverter to the 525 monitor and I get the exact same scramble. Input passthrough from the Kona works on the monitor so both these facts makes me believe the monitor is OK.

Francois J Driessen

• Francois Driessen

April 6, 2005 at 9:49 pm

Here we go.

Thanx to the help of AJA (including swopping out the card) we kept messing around until we arrived at a place were all the cables were disconnected from the Mac (Including the power source to the Apple Studio display). I reseated the card and all worked perfect.

AJA is now investigating a possible power leak from the Graphics card / monitor to the Kona 2 that buzzes up the firmware to never start its loading from scratch.

This sounds crazy, but after a week of frustration, and pain the problem was solved by disconnecting cables from the monitor.

FCP captures perfect. Test patterns are sweet and all is good in Kona 2 land for me now.
    Hope my battlescars save someone else the pain!

Francois J Driessen

• Fred Connors Jr.

April 7, 2005 at 1:12 pm

Francois

Thank you for sharing the solution to this problem. It is very helpful to others.

Fred

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy