- August 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Last night I installed Resolve 11 onto my 15″ MacBookPro hoping to enjoy some of the new features. The attached screen grab is what I saw when opening a DPX file sequence from a previous project. I did not change any of the default settings in Resolve just viewed the files in the media pool.
This footage was shot on a Canon C500 recording to an Odyssey 7Q @ 1920 x 1080 444 12 bit CLOG. When I view the graded DNXHD version of the same file all looks fine as seen here. I have never seen Resolve display my DPX files like this before?
Is there a new setting in Resolve that I have missed?
Any thoughts would be helpful.
- August 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Did a a great job on the character replacement though! Better than AE! Where is that button? 😉
- August 8, 2014 at 12:01 am
Doesn’t look like a character replacement to me, it’s the same guy
- August 8, 2014 at 1:53 am
Boys unfortunately that is the same guy. I have sent some DPX files to BM today and they are looking into it. Obviously they seemed very surprised when they saw those images.
- August 8, 2014 at 9:37 am
These appear to be DPX v2.0 images (as compared to v1.0). The order of the channels in v2 are BGR and in v1.0 are RGB. It appears that the files are being generated as v2.0 but the order of the channels is RGB instead of BGR.
You should be able to correct these by swapping the R and the B channels in the RGB mixer. You can do this on node one of the affected files prior to any other grades.
- August 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm
You are correct! I just heard back from BM and they said the same thing. Although they didn’t mention anything about VER 1.0 or VER 2.0 DPX files. They suggest rolling back to Resolve 10.5 or as you suggested switch the R & B channels in the mixer. I was told they are working on correcting things in Resolve 11 ASAP. In the meantime I will create a node specifically for switching the R and B channels and work from there.
It is strange to me that this is the first that BM has heard of this issue with VER 11? My combo of Canon C500 recording DPX files from the Odyssey 7Q can’t be that unique.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
- August 9, 2014 at 1:17 am
I sent you an email a little while ago, but I wanted to follow up here for any other users who might possibly come across this issue. When the files were analyzed, it was determined that they are not adhering to the DPX 2.0 spec, which is why Resolve is misinterpreting them (or properly interpreting based on the data presented, if you want to look at it that way). I don’t have any information on what might differ in how DPX 2.0 files were flagged between previous Resolve versions and the current version, but the ideal solution would be to use files that are to spec. We have seen one other Odyssey 7Q user at this point who is reporting similar behavior, and it might be helpful to log this up to Odyssey as well for them to investigate what might be going on in the encoding. Hopefully this way you and other users can reach a lasting resolution.
Blackmagic Design Inc.
Log in to reply.