Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Converting 24p NTSC to PAL for edit in a PAL project. Should it be interlaced or not?

  • Converting 24p NTSC to PAL for edit in a PAL project. Should it be interlaced or not?

    Posted by Jason Banker on October 29, 2006 at 10:10 am

    Hi,

    I am currently working on a 25p PAL project in FCP. All of the footage was shot with PAL DVX100’s.

    A few tapes were just given to me that were shot on a NTSC DVX100 which I am converting to PAL for use in my current project.

    The conversion process is rather tricky because the original footage that the DVX shoots is 24p inside of a 29.97 interlace. My first thought was to convert to 25p interlaced but sometimes notice the interlace lines in the PAL file. Then I converted to 25p Progressive which does away with the interlace lines but seems to have a more stuttery image at times.

    Basically my question is has anyone worked with a 24p NTSC to PAL conversion? and which method is prefered, interlaced or progressive?

    Do I lose resolution going progressive? The image seems slightly more stuttery on progressive, am I somehow also losing more frames doing it that way?

    Any help would be great. Thanks 🙂

    Graeme Nattress replied 19 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Walter Biscardi

    October 29, 2006 at 11:19 am

    Go to http://www.nattress.com and look at his Standards Converter. Ony $100 and you can download and try it first. That’s the most recommended plug-in for this type of work on the Cow.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    https://www.biscardicreative.com
    HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network’s “Good Eats”
    HD Editorial for “Assignment Earth”

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Ed Dooley

    October 29, 2006 at 6:00 pm

    Not to disagree with Walter, the Nattress plug-ins are great, but there is another option. Compressor 2 also has the ability to do a standards conversion and I haven’t heard anything yet to suggest it’s a bad or sub-standard option. From what I’ve read, they’ve greatly improved the conversion ability in v2. I’ve used both and they both seem to do a good job. Maybe Graeme Nattress could suggest ways that his converter is still a better way to go.
    Ed

    [walter biscardi] “Go to http://www.nattress.com and look at his Standards Converter. Ony $100 and you can download and try it first. That’s the most recommended plug-in for this type of work on the Cow.”

  • Walter Biscardi

    October 29, 2006 at 6:08 pm

    [Ed] “Not to disagree with Walter, the Nattress plug-ins are great, but there is another option. Compressor 2 also has the ability to do a standards conversion and I haven’t heard anything yet to suggest it’s a bad or sub-standard option.”

    Well certainly Compressor is free and included with Studio so not a bad idea to test a short sample clip in both Compressor and the free Nattress Trial download to see which is better. I have never recommended Compressor because in the past it was never that great and everyone always recommends Nattress. Maybe it has gotten better in v2.0, I honestly haven’t tried it.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    https://www.biscardicreative.com
    HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network’s “Good Eats”
    HD Editorial for “Assignment Earth”

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Jason Banker

    October 29, 2006 at 7:28 pm

    Actually I am already using Canopus Procoder on a PC to handle the conversion. I know it would be better to convert on the Mac but I feel comfortable with Procoder for a few reasons.

    Anyway my question had more to do with which PAL settings I should use for 24pa footage from a DVX100? Interlaced or Non-Interlaced?

    When I output intelaced I notice some interlacing lines in the footage from time to time?

    I found I can avoid this by rendering the clip non-interlaced but then I notice a frame rate stutter.

    Which method is better to render to in the long run?

  • Graeme Nattress

    October 29, 2006 at 7:34 pm

    Or for 24p to 25p you can just use Cinema Tools which is better than all of the options mentioned so far…..

    Graeme

    – http://www.nattress.com – Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy