-
Compressing DNxHD 145 to DNXHD 35 after having imported all footage and synced it with autosync
Hi
I am needing some advice on a huge project I am working on. This is my First Avid project so I am still learning but I think I have grasped how it data manages to a degree.
I was given (I had no say) 7TB of footage converted from DSLR H.264 to DNxHD 145. However this is slowing the project down and has been a pain to sync due to errors occurring (hardware overrun etc).
So It has been suggested that I compress the footage that is in my AvidMediaFiles folder. (To import I bring in my footage into 1, build a database by opening MC and then drag the dmb file into the bin i want, then move it out into another numbered folder delete the dmb and do the next bin).
My question however is, is this even possible to down convert my footage without the footage un linking?
I have heard horror stories about projects un linking and am so scared I lose all my sync work I have done over the passed month (plural eyes didn’t wanna play nice) So I did it manually and I am dealing with no slates or claps. 10 second clips and 30 min of audio…been a real mare.
If it is possible to down convert from DNxHD 145 to DNxHD 35 without affecting the project then what is the best workflow or suggested method.
No one in my company is that familiar with avid and they all want to jump onto my footage to compress it but i am holding them back out of fear of losing my work. Their reasoning is I will run into trouble when the clients come in and the project keeps crashing and it’ll end up being very slow to work on.
System Mac Pro 6GB ram, MC 6
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Regards
Meredith
Editor/Film maker
Cape Town South Africa