Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve Compound clip question

• Compound clip question

• Mike Thomas

January 20, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I’m organizing a large project by making each individual scene a compound clip after it’s cut together. I then have a “master” timeline where all the compound clips are lined up as the scenes should play. I was under the impression that as I go into each scene’s individual timeline and continue to tweak the edit (decomposed) that the changes I make are automatically applied to the compound clips waiting over in my master timeline. I’m finding this isn’t the case. Changes aren’t applied to the compound clips. Am I doing something wrong or am I mistaken about how compound clips work? Sony Vegas does this but it’s called “nesting”.

• Dean Baker

January 21, 2021 at 1:15 am

Hi Mike,

Compound clips are timelines, if you right click a compound clip you can open in timeline viewer and make your changes there. These changes are then reflected back in the master timeine.

• Mike Thomas

January 23, 2021 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m new to Resolve from Vegas. I’m finding it to be a much more powerful software but definitely not as intuitive as Vegas.

• Michael Gissing

January 25, 2021 at 12:20 am

You can use a timeline as a source clip which is different to making a compound clip and using that. Drag a timeline into a new timeline and it looks and behaves like a compound clip but changes made in the original timeline are reflected in the version edited in another timeline.

I use this technique to do alternate versions so that grade changes made in the original are automatically reflected in all the alternate versions too.

• Mike Thomas

January 25, 2021 at 1:07 am

After trying your technique this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks so much!

• Michael Gissing

January 25, 2021 at 2:51 am

It is very much like the old nesting in FCP7 and I assume Vegas. You can later select the clip and ‘Decompose in Place’ to turn it back into individual clips on original layers/ tracks

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy