- March 4, 2021 at 10:33 am
I have artwork in an AI file, color set to RGB and NOT using spot colors.
When I ‘Create Shapes From Vector Layer’ in AE the color shifts considerably. The RGB values in AE are completely different, so I have to copy and paste fills from AI. This is extremely frustrating as I have lots of fills and strokes in my artwork.
Seems to have started after the latest AE update.
- macOS Big Sur 11.0.1
- After Effects 17.7.0 (Build 45)
- Illustrator 25.2
- Mac Pro (2019)
- 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
- 192GB 2933 MHz DDR4 RAM
- AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB Graphics Card
Thanks in advance!
- March 4, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Weird, I never noticed this. Anyway, here is what did the trick for me:
– Check your AI color settings (under “Edit”) and look for your RGB color space, in my case its sRGB IEC61966-2.1
– Check your project settings in AE (little rocket icon) and see what color space is used under “Color”, for me it was none. I set that to the same as in AI and now the color values match for my document.
Be sure to save your project before switching color spaces, cause I just had a hard crash after I switched the color space and then tried to convert an AI file to shapes. Might be a bug?
- March 5, 2021 at 9:55 am
Thanks so much for your help, but unfortunately I’m still seeing different colour values in AE. I wonder if you could give my screenshots a once over to see if I understood your instruction?
1 – AE Project Settings
2 – Shape in AE created by ‘create shapes from vector layer’, note RGB fill AE generated
3 – Shape in AI, note fill I selected is different to AE
4 – AI Color Settings
*Update: Since taking the screenshots I installed bridge and used it to synchronise color settings across Creative Cloud, but I’m still seeing the shift in RGB values in AE.
- March 5, 2021 at 10:54 am
strange, these are the exact settings i used. What are your settings regarding the AI footage itself (interpret footage -> Color)? Maybe there are mismatched color settings
- March 5, 2021 at 11:11 am
Interpret footage settings match too. Strange 🤔
*Update: I have since tried checking ‘Preserve RGB…’ in the interpret footage dialogue, which results in a complete crash when I then try and convert to shapes. When I say complete crash, I mean it doesn’t even manage to write a log file and I have to power cycle the machine to force quit AE. Buggy!
Log in to reply.