Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Capturing HDV video for Vegas 15 do I need a Firewire connection?

• Capturing HDV video for Vegas 15 do I need a Firewire connection?

Danny Hays updated 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Kevin Caulfield

March 30, 2019 at 11:35 am

Sorry about the basic question, but just upgraded the home PC and there was no space for my existing Firewire card. The tech guy said I need some kind of adapter to be able to use my old Firewire card. Is Firewire the only option for capturing video? I use a Sony HVR-A1P. Thanks for your help.

• George Dean

March 30, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Hi Kevin,

It’s been a while since I did any firewire captures. There are probably several gizmo’s that may work to capture, but if your camera only feeds HDV through firewire I would just get the adapter and if Vegas doesn’t recognize it, I would use the software included with the adapter to make the capture. Maybe other members here have a better suggestion.

Best Regards……George

• Danny Hays

March 30, 2019 at 5:54 pm

I have an HVR-A1. I don’t capture to tape with it anymore since my newer cameras capture 1920 – 1080-60P where HDV is 1440 – 1080 30 fps interlaced video. But I can how ever capture straight from the imager via component and bypass the HDV compression of the camera. I have a Black Magic Intensity USB3 capture device. $199. The video quality is far superior at any capture setting than the HDV video via firewire. The limitations are lack of mobility while capturing since you’re connected to the PC and an SSD is required to capture to the 8 and 10 bit uncompressed settings.

Danny Hays
    Samples of my Work can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy