Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Capturing Canon gl2 tapes via Panasonic pv-gs320

  • Capturing Canon gl2 tapes via Panasonic pv-gs320

    Posted by James Groves on August 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

    Hello.

    I am capturing video from minidv tapes that were filmed with a Canon GL2. I am capturing them with a Panasonic PV-GS320, connected via Firewire 400 to a LaCie external hard drive, which is connected via Firewire 800 to my iMac (10.6.6.).

    I am capturing into FCP 7.

    I wonder if I should base my capture settings on the camera I filmed with (gl2) or the one I’m capturing from (pv-gs320). Video both filmed and captured with the PV-GS320 seems to require an unusual audio rate capture setting. (12-bit output.) I think I’ll have to adjust for that. But the size & shape of the video seems like it would have be set to the gl2’s settings, because the Panasonic films widescreen and the gl2 doesn’t.

    I have another question but will ask it later.

    I have spent so many hours reading CreativeCow.net and so many of my days have been saved thanks to CreativeCow.net — so thanks, group.

    J

    PS: The reason I’m capturing via the Panasonic is because my ancient gl2 does not play nice with the LaCie external hard drive. I read on another forum that this is because some of the early Canons actually use Firewire 100 or 200 and the slower rate is hard for the LaCie to handle. Seemed like the most sure-fire way to resolve the issue was just to capture with a different camera.

    James Groves replied 15 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chris Tompkins

    August 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm

    It’s all the same – DVNTSC or DVPAL.
    Putting that tape into a large studio VTR or a $200 palmcorder – it’s still going to play the dv tape as dv25.

    Running the capture into an ext. HD b/4 the comp. can cause issues.

    If you have capture issues, you could unplug that FW drive and capture straight into the imac.
    Finsh capture.
    Plug FW drive back in and drag files to the ext. drive for editing.

    Chris Tompkins
    Video Atlanta LLC

  • James Groves

    August 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

    OK. Thanks for the response.

    I’m going to read about capture settings today in the FCP manual. Will let you know if I turn up anything fascinating.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy