Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Can I get a tritone with AE 6 Standard

• Can I get a tritone with AE 6 Standard

• David Mcsween

April 12, 2005 at 10:15 am

Is there a straight forward way to do a repeatable duotone or tritone effect using the standard suite of effects. I guess I would desaturate the clip first, then apply the Levels (Individual Controls) effect and drag away. It just seems to be very messy and results are a bit like changing the tint.

Any smart suggestions appreciated.

Cheers David

• Andrew Yoole

April 12, 2005 at 1:13 pm

You can get a Duotone effect using Adjust/Hue-Saturation.

If you upgrade to 6.5 you’ll get CC Toner, a three-colour tinter that works like a Tritone setup.

If you have access to Chris and Trish Meyer’s Creating Motion Graphics books (and anyone serious about using AE should own both of them) the cover CD on one of ’em includes a similar 3 colour tint plugin from Boris FX.

Trapcode Shine can work as a great 3 or 5 colour tint plugin. Just turn the Ray Length and Light Boost parameters to 0.

• Filip Vandueren

April 13, 2005 at 12:11 am

If you can bare breaking it up in multiple layers to achieve the effect try this:

using 3 copies of the layer:

• desaturate the bottom layer using your favourite method (be it channel mixer, hue/saturation etc.)
      • give it a a levels-effect, setting:
        RGB: input white: 128 / output white:128; (all the other params @ default value)
      • then add a tint-effect and
        think of black as the black value of the tritone
        think of white as the mid value of the tritone
        forex. black = red, white=orange
    • desaturate the middle layer
      • give it a Shift Channels-effect, setting:
        Take Alpha From Luminance
      • then add a levels-effect, setting:
        RGB: input Black: 128
        Alpha: input Black: 128
      • then add a tint-effect and
        think of black as the mid value of the tritone (same as white color in the bottom layer)
        think of white as the white value of the tritone
        forex. black = orange, white=yellow
    • give the top layer a transfer mode of luminosity

alter the opacity of the top layer to taste, and precompose if that’s more handy.

This should achieve a ‘true’ tritone effect using standard filters, just keep in mind you use the same “mid” value in both tint filters.

• Martti Ekstrand

April 19, 2005 at 8:15 am

The quick’n’dirty way in both AE and Photoshop is just creating a solid layer with the colour you want to tint with and set it’s transfer mode to … umm … ‘color’ and then adjust the colour until you have look you want. You probably need to adjust the image layer with levels as well, especially punch the highlights to full white.

cheers

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy