Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve C300 Mark II footage need transcoding for editing/grading?

• C300 Mark II footage need transcoding for editing/grading?

Joseph Owens updated 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Drake Silver

January 22, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Hi all, thanks for reading…

Dealing with some C300 mark II footage, HD, 10 bit XF-AVC H264 codec —

Can I edit with the codec straight out of the camera or would you normally transcode to ProResHQ?

Normally (unless RAW from F55 or Red or something similar, etc) I’d transcode… but just wanted check what others may do?

I’ll be working with some in FCPX 10 and some in DaVinci. It’ll be colour corrected and then colour graded after being edited.

• Joseph Owens

January 22, 2022 at 4:58 pm

The answer depends on your editing system. If you expand the XAVC codec to an intra format like ProResHQ, the storage will balloon, but processing time won’t be as intensive. If you leave the source media *as is*, it will just mean that your CPU will spend some Flops decoding the Long-GOP H264. The alternative is to transcode to a proxy codec of similar bit density, and then re-link to the original, or maybe even the less-compressed HQ (if you decided to do that) for color correction if you decided you needed to see yur grades applied to the originals, or deferring all the way to the Render Output before re-linking to the originals.

2Reefs aka JPO

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy