Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Panasonic Cameras › Buying a Panasonic AF-100 without much knowledge of lenses

  • Buying a Panasonic AF-100 without much knowledge of lenses

    Posted by Jed Findlay on September 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

    I work in a University video unit and I have convinced the higher ups to let us buy a Panasonic AF-100. We have been using Sony EX-1and3’s, so stepping into the Panasonic lens switching camera will be a big change. The camera is already around $5000 but I know I need to get some lenses too. Our unit does a variety of projects – news packages – ads for clients – documentary style pieces. We edit on FCP on a Mac.

    I need advice on:

    Where to buy… everything?
    What lenses to look for.
    Adapters for the lenses.
    Shooting advice (lenses to always take – handheld lenses.
    Workflow advice.

    I know that is quite a bit for a single post – but we are just opening up this exciting realm of lens switching shooting!!

    Any advice you can offer would be amazing.

    Thanks!

    Jed

    Joe Barta iv replied 15 years ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Richard Cardonna

    September 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm

    B&H includes the vario lumix 14-140 zoom lens with the camera for $4795.00

  • Jed Findlay

    September 14, 2011 at 8:22 pm

    I was literally noticing that as your message popped up – thanks!! Would that be something equivalent to the EXlenses we have been using?

    Jed

  • Noah Kadner

    September 15, 2011 at 1:21 am

    It’s ok- but that camera truly shines with prime lenses if you want that glossy shallow depth of field lock. And the zooms are incredibly slow- especially if you’re used to fixed lens cameras like the EX1/3- very tuned to low light work. This is a whole different animal. I definitely recommend some training for this cam. Lots of free stuff out there, here’s an AF100 course I offer that’s a bit more comprehensive:

    https://www.callboxlive.com/collections/frontpage/products/af100-dvd

    Noah

    40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
    Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

  • Jed Findlay

    September 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

    Noah,

    So besides the free 14-140mm panasonic we would get, can you advise a few lenses to start with? I truly want to make use of the shallow DOF capabilities of these interchangeable lenses.

    I have a ton to learn on using lenses – besides learning how to use the AF-100. Thanks for the link to the DVD.

    Jed

  • Brent Dunn

    September 15, 2011 at 3:08 pm

    The stock lens isn’t as good in low light.

    Prime lenses.

    24mm

    50mm

    100mm

    Nikon or Canon L-Series lenses are great. You’ll need an adapter to fit what brand of lenses you buy. My favorite lens is my canon L-series 24-70 and L-Series 70-200. This covers most ranges with an F-stop of 2.8

    I have a prime 50mm with a 1.4. I also have a 50mm Macro at 1.2.

    If you have the budget, Zeiss primes have a good reputation as good quality glass. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Zeiss&ci=274&N=4288584247+4291107378

    Brent Dunn
    Owner / Director / Editor
    DunnRight Films
    DunnRight Video.com
    Video Marketing Toolbox.net

    Sony EX-1,
    Canon 5D Mark II
    Canon 7D
    Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
    with Final Cut Studio

    HP i7 Quad laptop
    Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

  • Noah Kadner

    September 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm

    Yeah I also like Nikon lenses as more of them have manual aperture controls that the modern Canon lenses lack. Either way- you’d need a lens adapter. I like the Novoflex adapters. Basically what I’m driving at is that of all the cameras to go and outfit blind, the AF100 would be one of the hardest. 🙂

    Noah

    40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
    Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

  • Joe Barta iv

    September 20, 2011 at 6:15 pm

    Check our Abel Cine for AF100 kits (camera, lenses and other things to get you started with the AF100)

    https://www.abelcine.com/store/home.php?start=0&searchsubmitted=1&q=af100+kit&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search

    Bars & Tone
    SALUTE!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy