- October 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm
Hello All! I’ll cut to the chase.
I’ve just been employed by a new production company that has no back ups of their content…(seriously? Yes.)
I am taking it upon myself to build a new workflow that will fix this.
– one Lacie 4big Quadra 4TB that operates as a working drive (this is pretty much full)
– one drobo s 4TB that operates as a sort of archive (also pretty much full)
None of these are backed up. So I know I need AT LEAST 8GB to back up all of this content.
This new work flow needs to create one copy of all our content to be put into a safe, one copy to be archived, and one copy that can be worked on. There are usually 3 different people that need to access this content throughout the day.
Any suggestions would be AMAZING!
Would it work to put the Lacie into RAID 1 to produce a working copy and an archive copy? Are you able to see what content is on each drive so it can be properly labeled and stored? That would equal the archived copy and the safe copy, then all we need is another working copy?
- October 20, 2010 at 1:58 am
Joel, not to cut down next answers like Bob`s at all but I thought I`d push in some quick themes.
1. Three backups? Oh by the way, three people? At least three recorder- players of the backup material, preferrably with a spare, and likely at least a knick- knack spare of the same for special purposes like testing, files renaming, or formatting. In other words, stuff that gets in the way, is special. Backup type should be in different form of storage than what you`re rolling, which is usually hard drives.
2. (Gary and I are headaching this one on the ARRI forum right now as we type): Put a booster processor right inside the backup system so that beast, and things that go along with it like visible electricity, turn on and off right with the backup system, leaving the regular sized works regular.
3. Build more backup and horsepower than you need and throttle down. I like variable speed equipment if possible.
4. Adding new workers to a fallen behind project will always make it drag even more.
5. All that increased rug dust will really beat a path to your machines, watch out!
6. My own theory, get home from work as soon as possible so you`ll have 13 hours to wind down and play, sleep (?), then get to work first, to be the morning hero at work. Guess when they`ll need you most.
-These were the quickies, shoot me for not writing the fine stuff. Your title says it.
- October 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm
I was just given 8 x 1TB drives. Doesn’t help too much yet. They were intended for the drobo, but I don’t like how drobo operates.
Can someone suggest an enclosure for me? At least 2 bays, Firewire 800, a variety of RAIDS and very Mac compatible.
Thanks so much everyone!
Log in to reply.