Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Panasonic Cameras Broadcast

• Broadcast

• Alex Belth

January 15, 2008 at 8:42 pm

If I’m using a DVX100B, I know I can shoot things that will be suitable for the web. My question, however, is can I use this camera to shoot a project that I would want to broadcast on TV, or have it blown up to 35mm? I heard from someone I know who works in TV that they usually won’t go for a TV show that is shot on DV, or they won’t use more than 15% of the material that is shot on DV. He said that on TV they use HD almost exclusively now. Is the DVX100B an antiquated product? What can or ideally what should I be shooting material for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Noah Kadner

January 16, 2008 at 7:29 am

That’s a very broad question- some channels require HD. Figure out your audience then see about broadcast requirements. You can definitely make a 35mm print from a DVX100. Not going to look as good as an HD or film source but perfectly acceptable.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
    https://www.callboxlive.com

• Tim Scarpino

January 16, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I’m not so sure the part about the DVX not being suitable for TV is valid.

Certainly, there are “better” cameras out there. It just depends on what you want to do, and for who. Perhaps more importantly, what do you want to $pend to do it?

I’ve got a few years into this, and have shot on virtually every format that’s been around since, well, since a while ago. I used to even shoot on the venerable AMPEX VPR-20 which was a battery operated 1″ VTR.

Given that, I can say I couldn’t be more pleased with the DVX100 for the video stuff I’ve shot in the nearly 2.5 years I’ve owned it.

It really is nice looing video for the price.

Good Luck,

Tim Scarpino

Tim Scarpino

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy