Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations BMD Media Express 3 in June

• BMD Media Express 3 in June

• John Pale

April 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm

https://www.electronista.com/articles/11/04/22/free.update.brings.prores.3d.4k.support.more/

Noted the souped up new version capture utility for Decklink cards comes out in June (same as FCPX).

Will have XML import support (which hopefully means you can batch capture FCP bins).

Could this mean the rumors were true about FCP X leaving Log and Capture to the card vendors?

Looks like too nice an app (some really great features) for just the few people who use the free utility now……

• David Roth Weiss

April 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

[John Pale] “Could this mean the rumors were true about FCP X leaving Log and Capture to the card vendors?”

That’s a possibility that several indicators seem to point at.

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist
    David Weiss Productions, Inc.
    Los Angeles
    https://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW’s Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

• Craig Seeman

April 22, 2011 at 4:43 pm

In many respects I think this is a good thing. I hate tying up an NLE with tape capture for hours. I’d like to start on the first tape while capturing the second. I like the Telestream Pipeline concept where you can start editing while the tape is coming in because it’s in an open ended Quicktime wrapper.

With a networked capture computer or maybe taking advantage of Thunderbolt’s bandwidth I can see great potential for ways to capture while continuing to edit.

Now the other feature is going back out to tape when needed. It would be nice not to tie the NLE up for that either but that would require a means to export timeline (XML?) and/or a means to batch capture when needed.

Ingest itself should not tie up an NLE though.

• Chris Borjis

April 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I’ve done a lot of capturing and edit to tape over the years
    and it wouldn’t bother me at all….not one bit….if I could capture or output to tape and edit at the same time.

• Eric Jurgenson

April 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm

With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first – an extra step.

• Craig Seeman

April 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

[Eric Jurgenson] “With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first – an extra step.”

And likely a very fast one. You’re NLE can back to editing instead instead of controlling an HDCAM deck for 90 minutes.

The idea that your NLE should be spending hours controlling tape decks is not very efficient. Certainly in the era where export was slow and network pipes where narrower, it made sense but these days having a separate app on a separate computer is likely much more time and resource efficient. Keep in mind that, over time, the need for tape delivery will be declining.

• Chris Kenny

April 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm

[Craig Seeman] “Now the other feature is going back out to tape when needed. It would be nice not to tie the NLE up for that either but that would require a means to export timeline (XML?) and/or a means to batch capture when needed.”

I think built-in output is more likely than built-in capturing, because you absolutely need to support video output for monitoring anyway. Allowing monitoring output to be conveniently captured to tape is just a matter of adding some relatively simple deck control.

Plus, built-in output combined with real-time OpenCL-accellerated rendering opens up the possibility for FCP X to offer something like DaVinci Resolve’s PowerMastering, which lets you output to tape in many cases with no rendering step. If output can only be handled externally, then the entire timeline will have to be rendered out to a flattened file first.

But for capturing? Yeah, who cares if that’s built in. Back before most of our work went tapeless, we used to use a third-party app for capturing anyway.

Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

• Chris Borjis

April 23, 2011 at 12:20 am

[Eric Jurgenson] “With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first – an extra step.”

For 95% of my projects I have to do that anyways for Blu-Ray/DVD/web versions.

• Peter Bosch

April 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

If no capturing is built in, what will the icon with the camera and the arrow on the middle left side mean?

Regards, Peter

• walter biscardi

April 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

As long as both ingest and output can detect dropped frames, I’m ok with third party apps for this. If the app merely plays through dropped frames, well, that’s gonna burn somebody.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
    HD Post and Production
    Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy