Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Blackmagic Design › Blackmagick Decklink Extreme on Ubuntu 10.04

  • Blackmagick Decklink Extreme on Ubuntu 10.04

    Posted by Iaroslav Rykhalskyi on May 12, 2011 at 10:01 am

    Good time of day!

    Can I get some help from Blackmagic guru here?

    I’m trying to install Decklink Extreme card on Ubuntu 10.04, but there’s no luck yet.

    So, my lspci:

    lspci | grep Blackmagic
    28:00.0 PCI bridge: Blackmagic Design Device 8111 (rev 21)
    29:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Blackmagic Design Device a118 (rev 0e)

    I’ve downloaded the latest driver from BM site. Installation have passed successfully. After rebooting

    lsmod | grep blackmagic
    blackmagic 429221 0

    But no blackmagic devices has appeared in /dev

    ls /dev
    audio lp0 ram9 tty12 tty41 urandom
    block mapper random tty13 tty42 usbmon0
    bsg mcelog rfkill tty14 tty43 usbmon1
    bus mem rtc tty15 tty44 usbmon2
    ......
    cdrom1

    Blackmagic control center shows “No Blackmagic devices found” window.

    I’ve tried other linux distros (openSUSE, Fedora), older card drivers, and even older Decklink Extreme PCI card too, but had the same results.

    If somebody knows any receipts how to make Decklink work on linux, I’ll be very appreciate for it.

    Thank you for advance

    Iaroslav

    Wen Liu replied 15 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Wen Liu

    May 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm

    Hi,

    Can you verify successful driver installation through package management? Which driver version did you install? Blackmagic DesktopVideo (I’m using 8.0) has BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater -status to check card status as well as the another function to launch the Blackmagic control panel.

    Good luck!

    Wen

  • Iaroslav Rykhalskyi

    May 17, 2011 at 6:59 am

    Hi, Wen!

    Thank you for your answer.

    Yes, desktopvideo package is installed. I installed 8th version,

    dpkg -l | grep Black
    ii desktopvideo 8.0 Blackmagic Design DesktopVideo Driver and Ut

    BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater status doesn’t return anything.

    I’ve tried this decklink card with windowsXP to be sure my motherboard and my decklink compatibility. It works well.

    Iaroslav

  • Wen Liu

    May 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

    Laroslav,

    You’re very welcome. I’m having my own troubles getting my Decklink card to work so I empathize. From Blackmagic’s own FAQ (below), “My Blackmagic card is not working, what should I do?” they suggest a clean installation, including physically removing/inserting the video card. I found that this suggestion worked when I dual-booted my system with another version of Linux where the system detected the card (lspci and lsmod) but Blackmagic diagnostic software (BlackmagicControlPanel, BlackmagicFirewareUpdater) did not.

    https://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/faqs/?sid=3945&pid=3985&os=linux

    Wen

  • Juan jose Villena

    June 15, 2011 at 6:46 am

    I am in the same situation.
    The card works in Windows 7.

    In Ubuntu 10.04 I get the following messages when the computer starts:(dmesg)

    [ 15.450972] *** bool DeckLinkDriverClass::firmwareHasDownloaded()[1616]: Failed to initialise video output support
    [ 15.451075] blackmagic: ERROR: failed to download firmware
    [ 15.451087] blackmagic_driver 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A disabled

    Regards

  • Wen Liu

    June 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm

    In log messages (var/log/syslog) do you have a vmalloc error, asking to increase size, right before the errors you posted? If so, the resolution maybe to increase VM size with these steps:

    1). Check your current vmalloc sizes
    $ cat /proc/meminfo | grep Vmalloc

    2). Increase VM size
    $ sudo nano /etc/default/grub

    change

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”

    to,

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash vmalloc=256M”

    (modify the following as necessary for your grub version)
    $ sudo update-grub2

    4). Verify changes, by looking for the vmalloc instructions in this file
    $ cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

    5). Reboot

    6). Double check if your changes has had effects
    $ cat /proc/meminfo | grep Vmalloc

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy