January 23, 2020 at 5:07 pm
Why does CatDV add a “(Various)” tag to batch-tagged assets that had already metadata–seemingly rendering my ability to perform a search on all the previous tags that were concatenated with the “(Various)” tag.
Have I lost all of the tags that are now labeled “Various”?
January 24, 2020 at 4:19 pm
This is not a field value. It’s just a way of showing the fact that you have a bunch if assets selected that have “various” values in that one field.
Imagine if you selected records of all 50 state capitals. In the “state” field, you wouldn’t want to see all 50 states listed (which is what you have in that result) so instead CatDV let’s you know that there are “various” values in that field.
If you selected only cities in New York, then the State field would only show “New York.”
Hope that helps.
bryson “at” northshoreautomation.com
January 24, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Thanks. I get that, but why can’t I search on those terms that are now within that (“Various”) bracket?
Are those terms no longer searchable at the catalog level but, globally, I guess?
It presents a problem for me because the info in that “keyword” field is what the National Archives needs to accompany our submissions.
April 13, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Hey, I think I might be able to help you on this. I’ve had the same issue and tracked it down to a couple different issues.
The (Various) happens when you’ve already input different values into a “keyword” space or have made multiple selections from a list that allows multiple values to exist in the same space.
Then when you’re “select+SHIFT CLICK” on a group of assets to add additional terms. there might be 1 or more fields that show (various). The value (various) is supplied by the database as a note that “various” values are in that field. (open text fields, lists or multiple selection lists)
However, when I was moving quickly and was using COPY and PASTing values from field to field and if I selected a field that showed VARIOUS and selected all and copied and pasted it into another field…the data (multiple terms) did not follow (as separate values), just the word (Various)..to multiply the tragedy if I “saved” the category and a new “term” or value was added to a LIST that was allowed to be edited sometimes the value (Various) was added as a selectable value.
My cure was to
1. Slow down
2. Be vigilant to read through the columns to assure that the data I added was correct. If and when I saw the word (Various) show up, I clicked on that asset and corrected it before saving the catalogue.
3. Asked the admin to close the lists to keep them from being amended. This is done in the preferences and then saved to the database and not locally.
I’m not sure that I explained it well, but Ive experienced the same as you have and found that it was a problem that I had created by moving too quickly while tagging thinking I could do several passes on assets that had alike values. I went back over items and thought after adding keywords, there was 1 or 2 more values I could add. example. 100 assets are rooms in a house. 50 of them have people in them 25 of them are empty and 10 of those rooms are wall papered without any furniture. After tagging those 100 assets I go back and note that there are different clocks from a supplier that I didn’t give any notation on so I select all 100 assets and add clock on wall. But you can’t do that to all 100. You have to go back to each group and select only those that share the same value in open text/lists/multiple selection lists and add CLOCKS, being sure that if the clocks are different to make that notation….OR you can go to the admin and tell them to add the LIST “CLOCKS” with the different models in each so you can make the selection there. Taxonomy is a bitch for sure and you have to be ready to move ahead and take steps back to make progress.
Where there might be mistakes made by over writing VARIOUS on top of data, you can use the cmd+shift+B and to a search and replace. I’ve actually created sequences by adding a space and ; to replace Various in many groups that needed fixed.
When you export the data, a php script can combine
Log in to reply.