Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Avid Media Composer › Avid media composer: how to edit in a 720 p timeline while using 1080p footages?

  • Avid media composer: how to edit in a 720 p timeline while using 1080p footages?

    Posted by Delphine Chevalier on April 8, 2013 at 4:09 pm

    Hi,

    I am very new to Avid Media Composer and was wondering how could I create a 720 sequence in a 1080p project as I already started to import all my footages and also edit.

    But now I would like to be able to pan and zoom inside the footages without deteriorated the look of them and have decide to go for a 720p timeline.

    In Final Cut it is very easy to do so as I would only have to create a new 720p sequence and copy my 1080p sequence into it, but in MC I can’t find my way.

    Would be very helpful if you somebody would could help me without telling me I should do my editing all over again…

    Thank you very much,

    Have a nice day,

    Delphine

    Michael Phillips replied 13 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Shane Ross

    April 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm

    Sorry, can’t be done in Avid. If you want a 720p timeline, you need to be in a 720p project. And Avid doesn’t have what is called “resolution independence” like FCP does. Meaning that you can bring 1080p into a 720p project and zoom in without losing quality. If you bring 1080 into a 720p project…it will be 720p. If you blow it up, you’ll be blowing up 720p.

    Either stick to FCP for this, or use Adobe Premiere Pro.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Delphine Chevalier

    April 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

    Hi,

    Thank you so much for replying that fast.

    It’s a shame that Avid can be sometimes such a good video editing system as well as a very all type one (it can be a nightmare sometimes for what I already experienced).

    Have a nide day

    Delphine

  • Michael Phillips

    April 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

    That changes in v7 just announced and showing at NAB for all AMA linked media. I need to verify whether opening non-AMA 1080 media in a 720 or SD project allows for the same controls.

    Michael

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy