Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy AutoDesk Smoke 2010 on MAC

• AutoDesk Smoke 2010 on MAC

• Craig RussillRoy

November 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Well this is going to put the cat amongst the birds

SMOKE 2010 is running on OSX – a Brilliant finishing tool

https://www.fxguide.com/qt/1700/smoke-on-mac-yes-its-for-real

MINTedit
    London, England

Mac Pro – 8gig ram – FCS 3 – CS4 – Cinema 4D
    Film, Edit and Deliver

• Aaron Neitz

November 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm

1) does it interface with Quicktime and the rest of OSX?
    2) does it blow up your wallet?

I would LOVE to have Smoke on a Mac for finishing and online. But already owning Flame on Linux I worry about it being a VERY proprietary system that is highly intolerant of things like 3rd party hardware, updating your OS software, etc…. Part of the reason their products are so solid is because every single component down to the RAM in the box is certified.

Also it’s a price issue. It will probably still be rather expensive and continue to be a high-end niche product (as it should, it’s solid code and Autodesk is VERY proactive in updating their software.) That’s why many of us finish in FCP: you may have to jerry rig things and know lots of little tricks, but it’s ultra cost effective.

• Alan Okey

November 12, 2009 at 12:48 am

[Aaron Neitz] “Also it’s a price issue. It will probably still be rather expensive and continue to be a high-end niche product (as it should, it’s solid code and Autodesk is VERY proactive in updating their software.) That’s why many of us finish in FCP: you may have to jerry rig things and know lots of little tricks, but it’s ultra cost effective. “

Exactly. If Smoke on OS X still costs $40K and up, who cares? Unless the price is dropping considerably, I don’t see the logic in porting Smoke to OS X unless it’s going to make media and project exchange with FCS more transparent.

If the price for a software-only Smoke for OS X (albeit with certain hardware restrictions for guaranteed performance) were to come down to around $20K, it would become a lot more attractive to many FCS users who are looking to step up to a better finishing system. I know I would look at it very seriously at that price. Color is the only tool in the entire FCS bundle that’s even remotely close to the level of Smoke’s pedigree. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s likely that the price is going to drop much, if at all.

I guess I don’t really understand the strategic value of this move for Autodesk.

• Rafael Amador

November 12, 2009 at 1:55 am

[Aaron Neitz] ” Autodesk is VERY proactive in updating their software.”
    No really for Combustion for MAC.
    rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

• Alan Okey

November 12, 2009 at 2:15 am

[Rafael Amador] “No really for Combustion for MAC. “

Sad but painfully true! I love Combustion, which makes it hurt even more that Autodesk has let it languish while they concentrate on new shiny toys like Toxik… oops, I mean Maya Composite, or whatever they’re calling it this week. I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Autodesk is exiting the standalone software compositing market.

• Martin Baker

November 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

unless it’s going to make media and project exchange with FCS more transparent.

I presume that’s a major reason why they’re doing it. The high-end finishing market is not something Apple is going to get into so it makes a lot of sense. I don’t see they need to drop the price.

Martin
    Digital Heaven, London UK

Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
    ———-
    FinalCutters – For Everything Final Cut Pro

• Erik Lindahl

November 12, 2009 at 9:48 am

Not to forget about Cleaner…

Smoke on OSX sounds interesting especially if it can live in my FCP / AE / SHAKE world and doesn’t cost me the odd 80K Euro’s to buy. I would however fully understand a strict hardware policy.

————————
    Erik Lindahl
    Freecloud Post Production Services
    http://www.freecloud.se

• Craig RussillRoy

November 12, 2009 at 10:43 am

I am totally for it – I mean look how many Hardware 8 cores running 64bit are out there – I am expecting a KONA hook up for I/O so it would make AutoDesk a small fortune – It’s the PricePoint that is the Ket – If Apple were to bring out Final Cut Extreme (what a rumour) then this would show Apples true colours at the Pro Market – Adobe must be watching from a distance as well.

Lets face it Smoke is for the select few that can afford it – once it is made to the masses – does the art suffer or expand ?

MINTedit
    London, England

Mac Pro – 8gig ram – FCS 3 – CS4 – Cinema 4D
    Film, Edit and Deliver

• Erik Lindahl

November 12, 2009 at 11:50 am

Smoke is made for the select few at the high-end so the question is what Autodesk’s goal is here.

a) Spread Smoke to the masses of “upper class” post production – much like Imagineer Systems have started to do with their line-up of products.
    b) Keep Smoke on it’s “select few” but bridge the gap (i.e. better intergration with FCP / AE / Nuke and other desktop apps)
    c) Smoke for OSX might be seen as an “audition” to the current Smoke user (i.e. bring Smoke to the home-studio, have a few extra smoke-licenes if needed etc).

The above boils down to features, performance and price point. I also think, spreading Smoke for the masses, wouldn’t Windows be a better option? I guess porting a Linux app to OSX might be easier but still…

I can say the thing i lack in my FCP world is an “extreme” option. I’m however not sure Smoke is the answer either, given it’s a high performance tool, the UI / workflow is very very different compared to FCP / AE (if that’s the market Autodesk is targeting). Hopefully we’ll know more after the 18th!

————————
    Erik Lindahl
    Freecloud Post Production Services
    http://www.freecloud.se

• Aaron Neitz

November 12, 2009 at 7:48 pm

[Alan Okey] “[Rafael Amador] “No really for Combustion for MAC. ”

Sad but painfully true! I love Combustion, which makes it hurt even more that Autodesk has let it languish while they concentrate on new shiny toys like Toxik… oops, I mean Maya Composite, or whatever they’re calling it this week. I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Autodesk is exiting the standalone software compositing market.”

Their FFI products are updated probably 4 times a year with service packs and then a whole new release yearly. But then again you’re paying a very hefty yearly service fee…. combustion was chump change in their books

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy