I’m currently working on a project for a band where I have been editing their shots together and syncing up the audio, colour grading etc.
The audio has been fine up until this point and has synced up nicely, but it was always a temporary mix of the audio which would later be changed for the final mix. The producer working on this project has sent me the fully mixed audio to add to the project, but now when I put it in, the audio is slightly slower than the previous audio and so it just barely doesn’t sync up (especially at the end). I’ve tried a multitude of things to fix this like getting the producer to change the bit depth or changing frame rates but nothing seems to work. I’ll put more information below but any help on this would be really appreciated! 🙂
I would start by checking the length of the two in the Media pool page. In mixing the final there may have been some music edits that change sync. The other possibility that has happened to me is the music is mixed from an analog tape and was not synced to anything. I used to re-sync remixes all the time like the Midnight Oil DVD “20,000 Watts RSL”. All the re-mixes had to be sped up or slowed slightly to match the original video clips. Also there were often edits that I had to recreate as well. Personally I prefer to take a 44.1khz mp3 and sample rate convert to a wav file before editing. Likewise I would take the final mix and make is 48khz 24 bit. 32 bit is overkill for a mix. It’s overkill for almost everything.
I’d also add that if the frame rate has been baked in as the file is bwf, then check that it is 24 and not 23.976. If it is then change that in clip attributes to 24. It will speed the file up .1% which might be the drift if the mix has been entirely in the digital domain and not anything involving analog tape