Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Avid Media Composer › Audio not working

  • Audio not working

    Posted by Ken Lawrence on April 12, 2016 at 12:15 am

    Hi all.
    I’m working on a new project and the audio is not playing in the source monitor and the timeline.
    The media is 1080p 1920×1080 24fps.
    Audio Sample Rate 48000
    Audio Bit Depth 24

    I’ve checked the Audio Project settings and the settings for these match.
    Oddly enough I can only hear audio when I solo one of the stereo audio tracks in the sequence timeline, and I can’t hear anything in the source monitor.
    I’m on PC.

    Can anyone help?
    thanks!

    Ken Lawrence replied 10 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Shane Ross

    April 12, 2016 at 1:27 am

    Phase cancellation. They are in perfect phase and canceling each other out. Pan them both MID.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Ken Lawrence

    April 12, 2016 at 1:55 am

    Thanks for the reply.
    I’m new to Avid, can you tell me how I adjust both channels to mid in Avid?
    Do I output them in Avid like this and then bring the clips back into my project so I can hear them in the source monitor?
    Or is there a setting in Adobe Media Composer I can use?
    thanks again!

  • Shane Ross

    April 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm

    Open the AUDIO MIXER….in the TOOLs MENU. And then pan the knobs mid. If you hold down the OPT key and click the knob, it’ll do it automatically.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Ken Lawrence

    April 12, 2016 at 9:47 pm

    Thanks for the reply.
    Both channels are already set to MID though, not sure if that’s normal.
    If I pan A1 to L100 and A2 to R100 I can hear both channels again but it’s a little quieter than if I delete A2 and leave A1 at MID.
    Does this make sense?

  • Shane Ross

    April 12, 2016 at 9:50 pm

    Yes, That sounds like phasing. Use only one track, mute the other, or rather, dip the audio all the way down. So when you get it to the mixer they can deal with whichever audio track works best.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Ken Lawrence

    April 12, 2016 at 9:56 pm

    I wound up just solo’ing one of the audio tracks and exporting the clips with just A1, and now I can hear the audio with the new clips in the source monitor and in the timeline.
    It cost me a day of productivity but at least I know what to do when this happens again.
    Thanks for the help.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy