Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve Apple M1 recs for 9-camera shoot & edit

• Apple M1 recs for 9-camera shoot & edit

• Sam Frazier, Jr.

August 7, 2022 at 7:21 am

I produce and edit an unscripted series of a live event that we’ve had good success taking the pilot on the festival circuit. We’re now about to shoot our first of 5 episodes of the series, but it’s a complicated edit b/c we have all kinds of formats and some slow-motion frame rates. Those details are below. For the last edit I used Premiere, but I’m looking to switch to Resolve for many reasons (but especially lack of speed and bugginess in Premiere).

I need to decide about new hardware for the edit and see these two options:

1: Mac Studio (M1 Max 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 32GB Ram, 1 TB SSD)

– which I will edit on 85-90% of the time

& Macbook Air M1 (8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16GB Ram, 512 GB SSD)

– For when I’m traveling

Or

2: 14” Macbook Pro (10-core CPU, 24-core or 32-core GPU, 32GB Ram, 1 TB SSD)

There is a price difference, but it’s not huge. Editing the pilot was rough, even with Premiere ProRes proxies. I eventually had to go w/ a ProRes HQ timeline w/ the ProRes Proxy files and prerender small sections at a time so I could preview and export w/o issues. So, this involved a lot of ProRes rendering. I’m not sure if Resolve would necessitate such a workflow.

Given that only 15-10% of the project will be edited on the road (& the 14” even w the same stats as the Mac Studio), which of these options seems to make sense with Resolve? Thanks for any help!!

Formats:

Sony FS700 – 4k 30p ProRes HQ422 (possibly substituted by Red Dragon or better)

2 x Panasonic EVA1 – 60fps in log

2 x GoPro Hero 9 or 10 Black – 5k 60p in whatever its native H.264 is (not Cineform)

2x Black Magic Pocket 6k in 30p

1-2x iPhone 13 30p in whatever format makes most sense

Drone (currently unknown model) – 4k 30p in its H.264

• Eric Santiago

August 12, 2022 at 12:42 am

What about footage drive?

1TB internal on any system won’t cut it.

Get a decent external.

We are running M1 Pro with 2TB drives along with the OWC Envoy 4TB.

Most of our footage is EVA-1 and DRAGON 6K.

But do Proxies mostly.

• Sam Frazier, Jr.

August 14, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Thanks for that. I’ll be used an external SSD Raid running around 1500MB/s, so we should be good there. I was more wondering if the MacBook Air would be able to work with the kind of mess of a project as I’ve had before and if a Studio would make a snappier and easier editing experience than a 14″ MBP Max or simply the MBP M1 Pro. Any thoughts?

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy