Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Any new G5’s yet?

  • Any new G5’s yet?

    Posted by Tom Matthies on April 20, 2005 at 2:18 pm

    A bit OT, but I was hoping Apple might announce a Dual 3Ghz at the NAB convention. At least that was the rumor. Anyone heard anything about this machine? Apple will usually make those announcements on Tuesday but no news on any websites yet.
    Just wondering…

    Tom Matthies replied 19 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Walter Biscardi

    April 20, 2005 at 2:22 pm

    You’ll see it on the Apple website first if it happens. I was hoping for yesterday since Tuesday is the normal day for Apple to release new hardware, but nothing so far.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,”

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • David Bogie

    April 20, 2005 at 4:10 pm

    The Macintosh/Apple rumor sites have more or less agreed that any new hardware will be announced closer to MacWorld Expo in July. I’ve been informed that certain G5 models are no longer being restocked at CompUSA implying new machines are on the way. Meaningless speculation, however as Apple tends to announce new hardware when it’s available to ship and trade shows have little or know relationship to Apple’s shipping schedules. Last year IIRC the G5 speedbumps were announced a few weeks after NAB simply because they weren’t ready to ship in time to announce at NAB.


    This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: “For crying out loud, read the freakin’ manual.”

  • Tom Matthies

    April 20, 2005 at 4:53 pm

    Yea, I’m looking to buy a new G5 and I’m holding back just to see what happens at the NAB convention. I’ve been waiting to make this decision for a few months now. I’m not sure if I would go with a brand new technology, the 3Ghz, or just settle for the more proven 2.5Ghz, take the reduced price and add more extras with the price difference.
    The last machine I ordered was a dual 1Ghz, my current machine. (It’s been too long!) I ordered it on a Friday, Apple came out with the somewhat illfated 1.42Ghz that weekend, so my platform was basically obsoleted before I even took delivery of the machine the following Tuesday. After a bit of discussion with my VAR, they at least reduced the price a bit. I’m looking to not run into the same situation again with the new computer.
    But, I don’t want to wait too much longer before making a decision. I’ve already ordered the FCP5 upgrade and I want the new platform ready when it arrives.
    What to do…What to do…

  • George Loch

    April 20, 2005 at 5:03 pm

    Just hold tight. There will most likely be some bumps in the next couple of months and they will likely be immediatly available so I would hold off and wait it out.


  • Jason Mccaffrey

    April 20, 2005 at 5:57 pm

    I’m curious how big of price cuts we can expect on the older g5s should newer better faster machines come out. Anyone have any insight for this freshman editor? I know that I purchased an outdated g4 that once was sold for $2-3000+ new for $500 used on eBay. How long before I can upgrade to a g5 with my small time budget?


  • Sean Oneil

    April 20, 2005 at 6:34 pm

    I wouldn’t expect anything revolutionary. I read somewhere that the fastest model would be 2.8ghz. The architecture will remain the same so the performance boost will be trivial. What would take 30 seconds to render on a dual 2.5 will take 27 seconds on a 2.8 – that kind of thing. The real improvement will be cooler running chips so they can do away with the expensive liquid cooling system.

    This could lower the cost, but for someone who already has a dual 2.5ghz, the new G5s will pretty much mean squat.

  • Tom Matthies

    April 20, 2005 at 9:06 pm

    Historically, when a noTomTw model is introduced, the older models get “pushed” down one position. The older top of the line becomes the new intermediate machine. The middle one becomes the entry level and so on. The bottom level is discontinued. Usually it means a price reduction on the older designs as well. Normally this is about $500 or so. If this what’s going to occure again, the sooner the better. I’ll still end up spending the same amount, budgets being what they are, but I’ll be able to get a little more bang for the buck.
    It’s no fun to buy a machine that’s obsolete in a month. Besides, I want one NOW!!!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy