Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Animate 100 of the same object dropping at random with varying speed

  • Animate 100 of the same object dropping at random with varying speed

    Posted by Justin Shewell on May 2, 2020 at 4:57 am

    I need to creatively illustrate 96% of people dropping out of an educational program, and I have an idea to have 100 “people” icons on the screen, and then have 96 of them “drop” off the bottom of the screen until there are only 4 left, but I am not sure how to animate it. I think having 100 layers in an AE project file would render very slow, and I am not sure how to achieve the varying speeds or random drop effects. I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions on how to best construct the desired animation.

    Justin Shewell replied 6 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Justin Shewell

    May 2, 2020 at 4:13 pm

    So, an update…

    I created one comp with 12 copies of an image (a person icon) in it. I added a null object and put in several slider controls: one slider control for each copy of the image that controls the speed at which it falls, and then one slider that controls the Y position (i.e. how far the objects fall). For each “speed” slider, I set it to generate a random number using the following expression:

    seedRandom(index, true); // I don't want the value to change each frame
    gaussRandom(1, 3);

    It works really well for that single comp. However, I need 96 moving objects, so I duplicated the comp and moved it over slightly to offset the X position. When I ram preview it, I get pairs of object moving at the same speed. What is the best way to get each instance of the comp to behave differently?

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy