Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Anamorphic Problems!

• Anamorphic Problems!

• Mark Maness

May 8, 2006 at 5:55 pm

Hey gang…

I have a problem or maybe an issue that I need help with. If I capture 16×9 footage and then drop it into a 4×3 timeline, the quality of my footage looks degraded and lost focus. If I uncheck anamorhpic on my clip and make it stretched, the quality looks fine. Now, if I capture downconverted HD footage in letterbox, the footage looks crystal clear.

So you see my issue…. captured 16×9 SD footage doesn’t look as good as downconverted HD. HELP!

Wayne Carey
    Schazam Productions

• Jerry Hofmann

May 8, 2006 at 6:41 pm

Are you monitoring this externally?

I’ll bet the HD camera’s footage is a lot better in general… but the SD natively should look OK.

Jerry

• Trinity Greer

May 8, 2006 at 8:12 pm

Degrade has to do with a need to render the footage. it is show a realtime proxie. Render it first and then look at on a external monitor.

• Mark Maness

May 8, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Yes… I am monitoring this thru my AJA Kona 2. That’s where I’m noticing the blurring effect that I am getting along with aliased edges. You really notice the problem with horizontal lines with objects in the picture.

And by the way, the HD footage does look alot better.

Wayne Carey
    Schazam Productions

• Mark Maness

May 8, 2006 at 8:39 pm

I am aware of this and always monitor thru my AJA Kona 2 card only. It gets worse when I render the footage. I’m noticing a blurring effect that I am getting along with aliased edges. You really notice the problem with horizontal lines with objects in the picture. Downconverted HD footage is completely fine. This just happens with SD footage that is shot 16×9.

Wayne Carey
    Schazam Productions

• Jeremy Garchow

May 9, 2006 at 6:08 am

Hmm. What are you trying to do exactly? How did you digitize the SD footage, and what kind of timeline are you putting it in when you are trying to letterbox it? Perhaps your field order is wrong, like you digitized 720×480 and you put the movie in a 720×486 timeline and you have not moved the movie down a scan line, or vice-versa. Tell me your steps and what settings you have used along the way and we’ll figure it out from there.

• Mark Maness

May 9, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply, Jeremy. Here’s exactly what I am doing. I have footage that is shot with our XDCAM at 16×9 (which is 720×486). I have the capture settings adjusted for anamorphic to accomodate the 16×9 footage. I am then placing them into a 4×3 timeline beacuse this is for brodcast.

All are using the IMX50 codec, which is the codec of the XDCAM camera. I want to stay native so as not to translate footage to another codec for yet another compression. There are no field order issues other than compressing the 16×9 image to its natural state so that everybody doesn’t look tall and skinny (of which I’m sure my talent would appreciate that).

I’m sure that you know that 16×9 footage has an aspect ratio of -33.33 (this is true if it has been checked in the Browser window) under the Motion tab – Distort. Now, if you capture directly as anamorphic footage, this tab will say that the aspect ratio is 0. Gettting a little confusing isn’t it…

I have tried capturing both ways and I get the same results each time.

Capture Settings: IMX50 anamorphic
    Sequence Settings: IMX50 4×3

Wayne Carey
    Schazam Productions

• Jeremy Garchow

May 10, 2006 at 2:27 am

Well, I can not say that I’ve worked with IMX50, but I can say that I do this constantly with footage shot with an SDX900 which handles anamorphic the same way. I never have many problems with the aspect ratio conversion. I don’t know anything about that codec and what it does after a recompression like you are sending it through. I know that DV50, although efficient, tends to break up on multiple generations. I always online in uncompressed before rendering out my final letterboxed master and I am always pleased with the results. Some suggestions:

1) Are you sure XDcam is really 720×486? Dv50 is 720×480 and I have to shove everything down a scan line when I put it in a 720×486 timeline to correct the filed order. As I usually recapture in uncompressed, this is rarely an issue for me.

2) REcapture in uncompressed and see how that works for you.

3) Hit apple 0 with your timeline selected and check out the video processing tab and change it from normal to best. This helps all parameters that have to do with the motion tab. In this case, this pertains to you as the aspect ratio is affected.

4) Check out your render settings in the sequence menu of FCP, make sure that ‘full’ is checked everywhere it can be in the render all and render selected sub-menus. If your system is seeing this as an rt effect and full is not checked, the sequence is not rendering and you are seeing a preview, i.e. not full quality.

Hope these help.

Jeremy

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy