Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems AJA Kona LHi and Outputs

• AJA Kona LHi and Outputs

• Ryan Spence

January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Hello,

I am looking at buying a Kona LHi so I read through the Kona LHi manual and I am a little confused about how it works in terms of a particular workflow that I have.

I am hoping to send a 1080i 29.97 signal out of a FCP7 project which I would like the Kona LHi to downconvert to 720p 59.94 for output through the HDMI for proper monitoring on a DreamColor (720p because Dreamcolor only accepts progressive signals and RGB).

Would this work? I know you can also by the AJA HDP2 for this but it’s only for one project and not worth spending the money on.

Thanks!

• walter biscardi

January 13, 2011 at 3:52 am

[Ryan Spence] “I am hoping to send a 1080i 29.97 signal out of a FCP7 project which I would like the Kona LHi to downconvert to 720p 59.94”

That is a cross-conversion, not a down-conversion.

[Ryan Spence] “Would this work? I know you can also by the AJA HDP2 for this but it’s only for one project and not worth spending the money on.”

Yes, this is a realtime conversion. You set up FCP Easy Setup for AJA Kona LHi 1080i / 29.97 (codec of your choice)

Then you set the AJA Kona Control Panel with the secondary format to 720p / 59.94. Now assign that format to the output that’s feeding your monitor. All outputs on the Kona are hot at all times and all can actually be sending out a different signal if you so choose.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
    HD Post and Production
    Biscardi Creative Media
    Register now for our Open House March 5

“Foul Water, Fiery Serpent” Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival.

Blog Twitter Facebook

• Ryan Spence

January 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Great! Thanks Walter. One more question, am I able to convert the signal from FCP or Color to RGB using the Kona LHi? I’ve got a dreamcolor monitor and I want to make sure that the color spaces work together. For example, if I have a ProRes 422 (HQ) project, can I send this signal out of color to the Kona LHi, convert to RGB, output using HDMI, and get a relatively accurate image on the dreamcolor for colour correction?

Thanks!

Ryan

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy