Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums AJA Video Systems AJA IO vtr devices

  • AJA IO vtr devices

    Posted by Rick Neely on April 13, 2005 at 7:26 pm


    quick question–

    Havetried to work with both a Betacan bvw-70 and UVW -1800 with my IO LA. The BVW I couldn’t control via remote, but 1800 worked great! Next week I have a tight deadline and the client is bringing in a PVW2800. From everything I’ve read, it should work fine, but I CAN NOT have a surprise. Can someone explain to me why I didn’t have bvw-70 issues. It might be the Rs232/422 compatability issu, but I could’ve sworn I had a working rosetta stone for the conflict and still no help.
    Anything else I shoudl be concerned with?


    Tom Matthies replied 18 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom Matthies

    April 15, 2005 at 2:19 pm

    I use the full Io here at work and it will control all of our Betacams. We use UVW-1800s, PVW-2800s, and BVW-75s without any problems. I have an AJA La on my system at home and run a UVW-1800 and a PVW-2600 without any problems there. It should handle any Betacam using the RS-422 protocol. I even have an old BVW-40 that works OK. Your La should be able to control a BVW-70 as well.
    Some UVW series, I believe, use RS-232 protocol. I’m guessing that a 422 to 232 converter would be needed in those cases, but I’m not certain of that.
    Just my 2

  • Russell

    April 17, 2005 at 5:39 am

    Lame question… I know but, where’s the best place (mail order house) to pick up the proper cable, to control a 1800 deck from an IO and what exactly is this cable called.

    Thanks for your time… Newby.

  • Tom Matthies

    April 18, 2005 at 1:50 pm

    It’s just a 9-pin D Type cable. I’m pretty sure that it’s just a one to one cable. In other words, pin one goes to pin one on the connector. Pin 2 goes to pin two and so on. Actually, I don’t believe that all the pins are actually used. Just a pair for transmit and a pair for receive and a ground. A cable with the extra pins/wires will work just fine though.
    Any supply house like Markertec or B&H Photo should have them in various lengths. They aren’t that expensive. You could most likely find one at a good computer store as well. Just make sure that the pin-outs are correct and it should work.
    Liik for a cable for an RS-422 application and it should work.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy