Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects After effects 2020 – Opacity on screen as a counter

• After effects 2020 – Opacity on screen as a counter

• Jody Cleaver

April 15, 2020 at 2:37 am

Hello, hope someone can help me with this ☺

I’m trying to show the opacity % in the project on the objects as they change, the reason for this I’m exporting as stills for going over in another software.

So I’m expecting on my stills it would show 72%, 71%, 70%, etc ….So I won’t have to do it manually for a large project

I’ve tried parenting the opacity to a text box…. :/ this didn’t work.

Much appreciated, Jody

• Jeff Hinkle

April 15, 2020 at 1:19 pm

You were on the right track. You can do this with an expression.

Create a new text layer.
    On your text layer, Opt/Alt-click the stopwatch for Text Source.
    In the resulting Expression field, type Math.round(LAYERNAME.transform.opacity) + “%”
    where LAYERNAME is the name of the layer whose opacity value you want to display.
    Math.round will round off the opacity value (I’m assuming you only want whole numbers) and the + “%” will add a percentage sign to the value.
    Position your text layer wherever you need it and format text as you wish.
    Change the Opacity value for LAYERNAME and the text layer will update automatically.

It is easier to destroy than to create.
    More fun, too.

• Jody Cleaver

April 16, 2020 at 2:47 am

Jeff thankyou so much!!! This has worked a treat, you are a star.

I was using a shape layer and I wasn’t sure how to title it, so I pickwhipped it to my fill layer. Initially I thought it was a bit buggy with multiple shapes inside the layer, but now it’s working

Ended up with:

Math.round(thisComp.layer(“Shape Layer 1”).content(“Ellipse 2”).content(“Fill 1″).opacity)+”%”

A thousand thankyou’s again!

Jody

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy